Connect with us

News

Blogger Thinking Pinoy issues erratum over using misquoted Trudeau statement

Published

on

Avid Duterte supporter and blogger Rey Joseph Nieto, a.k.a. Thinking Pinoy, issued an erratum over making a graphic attributing a misquoted statement to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Nieto made the correction on November 16, hours after Rappler published a report on how Communications Assistant Secretary Mocha Uson shares Nieto’s graphic with the wrong statement from Trudeau. He explained that he based the graphic on a Manila Times article titled “Getting back garbage ‘impossible’ – Trudea” published on November 15.

“ERRATUM: The Manila Times article “Getting back garbage ‘impossible’ – Trudeau” dated 15 Nov 2017, upon which yesterday’s ThinkingPinoy graphic was based, misquoted Canadian PM Justin Trudeau,” Nieto wrote.

He explained that he already took down the erroneous graphic, but that it took time to do so because he was sick and away from his computer.

Nieto did not fail, however, to remind everyone that the container vans containing the trash from Canada are still in Subic, Zambales.

“Note, however, that the fact remains that the 90-or-so container vans’ worth of trash, including used diapers, from Canada are still rotting in Subic, and that the Canadian Government has so far been unable to offer any substantive solutions to address the issue,” he said.

Before ending his post, he even compared the Manila Times to Rappler.

“With that said, I implore the Manila Times to issue an erratum for the misquotation. I know you guys can do it because you are not Rappler,” Nieto added.

Uson shared Nieto’s erroneous graphic, adding her own caption that said: “Meron tayong kilalang ganyan sa Pilipinas. Mahilig din sa photo op lalo na sa bata. Pekeng peke nga yun.”

Thinking Pinoy

Image: Rappler

 

However, Rappler corrected Nieto and the Manila Times’ misquoted Trudeau statement.

The erroneous statement went like this” “… Theoretically, it is impossible to get [the garbage] back… Even if it originally came from Canada…”

advertisement

Nieto posted this caption of the graphic: “After the PR blitz, this is what we get from Canadian PM Justin Trudeau. At the end of the day, I’d rather have a crass and ‘unclassy’ president who get things done. ‘Yung pictures ng pogi? Makakalimutan rin ‘yan. Pero yung basurang nabubulok sa mga ports natin? Hindi.”

It turned out that Nietos’ graphic was based on a certain part of the Manila Times article that said: “We have legal barriers and restrictions that prevented us from being able to get back. Those regulations and those impediments have not been addressed. So, theoretically it is impossible to get it back.”

Rappler noted how both Nieto and Uson were present at the ASEAN Summit, but did not bother to check and verify the quote, which would have been easily doable by checking video clips of Trudeau’s press conference.

Here is what Trudeau actually said:

“Even though it originally came from Canada, we had legal barriers and restrictions that prevented us from being able to take it back. Those regulations and those impediments have now been addressed, so it is now theoretically possible to get it back.”

You can watch Trudeau here at 0:50:

Reacting to Rappler’s fact-checking of Trudeau’s statement, Uson asked whether the online news media organization is spreading fake news or taking their revenge against her.

She said that it was her fellow Duterte supporter Nieto who quoted Trudeau’s statement based on The Manila Times, which she pointedly mentioned as a part of mainstream media.

She added, “I only gave my opinion about the picture na buhat buhat ni Trudeau not about the quote.”

Uson also slammed Rappler for calling her out but not Nieto.

“Si RJ at Manila Times ang nag quote pero akong hindi nag quote ang sinita niyo???” she added.

The PCOO assistant secretary also accused Rappler reporter Pia Ranada of being “interested to destroy people.”

“Nevertheless Spox Harry Roque next time na may tanungin ang MPC na ganyan lalo na ang basurang Rappler, Ask for the particular post na sinasabi nila. Meaning tanungin niyo po kung ano ba yung post na yun na sinasabi ni PIA. Upon looking at it malalaman niyo na kaagad na si PIA nangloloko lang sa inyo. Just a piece of advise Spox. Dahil yang katulad ni Pia is not interested sa truth. She is just interested to destroy people,” Uson wrote on Facebook.

She also tried to engage her fellow Diehard Duterte Supporters (DDS), asking them what they thought was Rappler’s motivation to write the fact-checking report mentioning her specifically – they don’t know anything, they wanted attention to increase Rappler’s engagement, they are taking their revenge against her for wanting to reclassify Rappler as blogger, or they wanted to pit her against Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

Manila Times has already issued an erratum over their misquoted Trudeau statement and changed the errors in their November 15 article as well. Their headline now says “Getting back garbage ‘theoretically possible’ – Trudeau.”

It also came with this editor’s note: “The quote in the fourth paragraph, attributed to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, has been corrected to say that “it is now theoretically possible” to bring the garbage back to Canada. The headline and the story below were revised to accurately reflect the correct quote. We apologize for the error.”

Nieto also issued an erratum before over a meme he posted where he mistakenly identified Senator Franklin Drilon’s wife as Fil-Am billionaire and civic leader Loida Nicolas-Lewis and over a photo he posted showing Vice President Leni Robredo auctioning her portrait in Los Angeles, California because she cannot afford to ship it to the Philippines, a story which turned out to be a fake one.

Sources: ( rappler.commanilatimes.net )

advertisement

News

Netizens slam Duterte for saying women ‘could not stand threats and intimidation’

Published

on

President Rodrigo Duterte drew flak for another controversial comment involving women after he remarked on May 24 that women “could not stand threats and intimidation.”

Duterte said that while he believed in women’s competence, it does not necessarily ring true in all aspects of life.

“I believe in the woman, the competence and capability, pero hindi lahat sa buhay dapat.Hindi ka, hindi, hindi. Dapat lang. It’s not appropriate when you cannot stand threats and intimidation,” he said in his May 24 speech.

He also said that women should be “prim and proper” and talked about his reservation in sending women police and soldiers to the field because unlike men, they did not grow up with a mindset that involves violence.

“Ang mga babae, sundalo pati pulis, ayaw ko ‘yan sa bukid. Unlike men kami, maliit pa lang, suntukan, bakbakan, barilan. And we grew up with a sort of a mindset na sometimes prone to violence. Itong mga babae, prim and proper man ‘yan, isang tingin lang sa nanay niyan, wala na tunaw na ‘yan. Tapos gawin mong pulis, ipaaway mo doon. Naku,” Duterte remarked.

Netizens then took to social media to react to Duterte’s most recent statements, making #BabaeAko trend again on Twitter.

“Mr. President, you just horrifyingly disrespected your own mother who bravely fought against the Marcos dictatorship. She withstood threats and intimidation. Siya ay babae! #BabaeAko,” a Twitter user remarked.

Forensic expert Dr. Raquel Fortun spoke out, too, saying “I am threatened and intimidated a lot. All my life. Don’t me. #BabaeAko.”

So did film and theater actress Chai Fonacier, who said, “Encouraging women — and I mean including those who identify as women — and our friends from the entire spectrum to share your #BabaeAko statements to fight the misogyny that the President and his ilk normalize through their behavior. Make them remember the feminine strength.”

KABATAAN Partylist Rep. Sarah Elago also reacted, saying she refused to be stereotyped.

Former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay urged other Filipinos to protest against Duterte’s misogynistic statements.

Other Twitter users weighed in on the issue.

Duterte’s previous misogynistic remarks

advertisement

His remarks in his speech on May 24 seemed to have sought to explain another controversial remark he made on May 16 when he said that he did not want a politician, especially a woman, to become the next Ombudsman.

“Mag-nominate sila, pero I choose, but gusto ko ‘yung bilib ang tao sa integrity niya. Of course it could not be a politician, lalo na hindi babae,” he said during a chance interview.

This gave birth to the launching of the #BabaeAko movement on social media on May 21 by women activists and other people who also want to protest Duterte’s misogynistic and sexist statements.

One of  the women who joined the #BabaeAko campaign was former Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo who said, “Akala ko taumbayan ang boss ni Duterte. Yun pala sina Marcos, Gloria, Trump at China. Para sa bayang makatarungan at malaya, lalaban ako.”

In February, he was also slammed for telling his audience of former NPA rebels that he told his soldiers to shoot female rebels in the vagina.

Sources: ( rappler.comphilstar.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

New DOT chief to ask Montano why he rushed official New York engagement to watch Broadway show

Published

on

Newly installed Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said she plans on talking with Tourism Promotions Board (TPB) COO Cesar Montano to ask for his side on certain accusations that were hurled against him.

Among these accusations came from an Abante report where Montano was said to have rushed a speaking engagement staged by the DOT in New York to watch the Broadway musical show “Hamilton.”

DOT reportedly launched the Philippine Tourism Presentation and Dinner Reception on May 9 to showcase Philippine tourism and fashion at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York. Montano was introduced as the event’s keynote speaker, but he was said to have only spoken for a bit before hurriedly leaving the venue, disappointing the guests, which also included US officials.

Montano was said to have been invited to the event in behalf of the now-resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo. He was also named as one of the two hosts, the other being Teo, of the said event.

In reaction to this report about Montano, Puyat said she would talk to Montano as well as the Tourism attache and other DOT officials who attended the event to verify the accusation in the report mentioned above.

advertisement

Puyat said that she would investigate into the “Buhay Carinderia” program that the TPB is set to implement. This was after Philippine Star Boo Chanco accused Montano of issuing P80-million worth of three checks to the event proponent and organizer.

“I still don’t have the papers. I will be asking [and] will be arranging a meeting with Mr. Cesar Montano to ask about ‘yung mga nabasa ko sa ‘Buhay Carinderia’ – kung totoo ba na walang bidding ‘yung P80 million na advance,” Puyat said on May 15.

“I’m planning to talk to him and ask his side. I want to ask all those who were there if it actually happened,” Puyat added.

In March 2017, TPB employees filed a complaint against Montano for his alleged corruption and mismanagement of the agency. These include hiring friends and relatives, using TPB’s funds for personal trips, and showing incompetence in fulfilling his obligations as the agency’s COO.

Sources: ( tnt.abante.com.phphilstar.comrappler.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Eldest Tulfo vows to help Wanda clear her name, berates ‘black sheep’ Ben over controversial P60-M DOT ad deal

Published

on

Inquirer columnist Ramon Tulfo spoke up about the controversy involving his siblings, now resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Tulfo-Teo and hosts Ben and Erwin Tulfo, over the P60 million tourism ad deal.

The eldest Tulfo wrote in his Inquirer column on May 10 that while President Rodrigo Duterte himself advised the Tulfo family to avoid talking to the media, he took it upon himself as the family’s acting patriarch to tell the story behind the controversy.

First up, Ramon blamed Teo for not hiring smart staff members who could have advised her against inking a deal with PTV 4, where one of the Tulfo brothers, Ben, was a blocktimer.

As a blocktimer, Ben pays for his TV show’s airtime on the state-run channel.

According to Ramon, Wanda was only complying with President Duterte’s injunction for his Cabinet secretaries to support PTV 4, adding that she did not know Ben’s company would get most of the multimillion advertising contract with DOT.

He also hit Ben, whom he called a “black sheep” with a “middle child” syndrome as the fifth child out of 10 siblings, for signing the P60-million advertising contract with PTV 4 despite knowing that there would be a conflict of interest on Wanda’s part.

Ramon also said that Wanda still tried to save Ben, who insisted on his innocence amid the controversy, leading her to resign from her post. He also explained that Wanda seemed to have forgotten the fact that her husband was on the board of director of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (Tieza), a part of DOT, when Duterte appointed her as tourism chief. He added that it should have been up to her husband to step down from his post upon his wife’s appointment.

advertisement

In the same column, he also slammed Wanda’s lawyer, Ferdinand Topacio, whom he said did not even consult the Tulfo brothers on returning the P60-million funds from the ad deal. He also described the lawyer as “all talk,” a counsel who’s only focused on gaining publicity for himself.

Unlike what has been previously reported about Wanda resigning out of delicadeza amid the controversy, Ramon let it slip that he commended President Duterte for “sacking Wanda,” prompting some people to ask whether Wanda was fired instead of resigned.

Before he ended his column, he vowed to support “Wanda’s fight to clear her name, but not Ben’s.”
Wanda resigned on May 8 to show delicadeza and to spare everyone, especially Duterte, from the pain caused by the controversy, according to her lawyer.

The issue started with the Commission on Audit’s report showing the DOT paying P60 million worth of commercials to PTV 4, which in turn, tapped Ben’s Bitag Media Unlimited Inc. to air the tourism ads during Ben and Erwin’s show “Kilos Pronto.”

Malacañang said that Teo’s resignation does not mean that she is off the hook since the Ombudsman is still looking into her and other government officials involved in the controversial ad deal.

Sources: ( inquirer.netnews.abs-cbn.com , nnphilippines.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read