Connect with us

Busted

Busted: Thousands of Robredo’s slippers found in abandoned NPA camp? Story came from a fake news site!

Published

on

Online reports about thousands of slippers bearing Vice President Leni Robredo’s name being found unused in an abandoned New People’s Army camp in Negros Occidental last week have gone viral. They have since been shared tens of thousands of times.

The reports were published by blogs like thephpride.blospot.com, pinoyobserver.com, thephilippinepolitics.com. All three blogs published the story on August 4.

advertisement

According to the reports, which are similar in all three websites from start to finish, members of the militry’s 61st Infantry Battalion found an NPA camp in the town of Salvador Benedicto in Negros Occidental, where they also discovered 1,034 pairs of unused Robredo slippers.

The reports further narrated a firefight between the government troops and the NPA for four hours, which killed six NPA rebels, wounded 4 military personnel, and caused 87 rebels to escape. With their sudden escape, the rebels left behind sacks of rice, clothes, ammunition, subversive documents, and clothes.

Authorities are said to be probing the reason as to why “Robredo’s campaign materials,” referring to the slippers and banners, were found in the NPA camp. The military was said to be investigating whether the campaign materials were given to the rebels or were looted by the rebels from the campaign warehouse. Cops were said to have set their eyes on investigating Robredo’s campaign coordinators.

However, we could not find credible sources carrying the story about the discovery of Robredo’s slippers in an NPA camp in Negros Occidental. We only found it carried by other blogs.

We also found all three websites to have published fake stories before, although Pinoy Observer has recently declared itself as a satirical blog. This made us question just how true their claims are about the Robredo slippers being found at the NPA camp.

When we check the photo used by Pinoy Pride and The Philippine Politics, we found it to be a photo first posted by frame.inquirer.net. According to Inquirer, the slippers bearing Robredo’s name were used by Quezon City Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte as her birthday give-aways on March 14, 2016. This was well before the election in May 2016. The catch is that the slippers were only given to the residents of Barangay Bahay Toro in Quezon City.

We looked for other instances when Robredo might have given away slippers and found this post by Facebook page VP Leni Robredo about her second daughter, Tricia, visiting Marawi City in July. Aside from talking to the evacuees, Tricia also gave away school supplies to the kids and slippers. However, the slippers did not bear Robredo’s name this time. They were plain slippers in different colors.

Considering how much the blogs love fake news and the lack of reports from credible sources to confirm such a claim, this story about Robredo’s slippers being found in an NPA camp is likely fake.

Meme Buster has busted fake stories from Pinoy Pride, such as those about Trillanes abandoned by Zambales crowd, US and 17 other countries banned anti-Marcos Martial Law book, Pacquiao to donate all of his earnings from Horn match, Dionisia Pacquiao sold expensive bags and jewelry to help Marawi victims, and BBC staff laughed over Trillanes’ ‘childish letter.’

Some of the fake, satirical stories we busted from Pinoy Observer include those claiming that an Oxford law professor said Duterte cannot be prosecuted by the ICC due to his high ratings, the CBCP urged Bulacan massacre victims’ kin to forgive and forget, Hontiveros said Joma Sison will live and die a true hero, and BAYAN’s Renato Reyes asked for an executive job from Duterte for him to stop protesting.

advertisement

If you’re with us in our advocacy in fighting online lies, we’d appreciate any donation to help keep us moving.

Busted

Busted: Trillanes nagsabing handa siyang mamatay katulad ni Ninoy Aquino para sa bansa? It’s a misleading headline!

Published

on

Pro-Duterte supporters mocked Senator Antonio Trillanes IV for allegedly saying that he is ready to die for our freedom.

Trillanes, a staunch critic of President Rodrigo Duterte, has been the subject of harsh online comments by Duterte supporters.

In the link shared and commented by many of these supporters however, one will be directed to a prompt saying that the blog has been suspended for violations of community rules.

Websites could be flagged for a variety of reasons such as spammy contents, violence, pornography, and more commonly, inappropriate contents. Ever since the issue of online trolls and bashers hounded the Philippines, several websites have been flagged for posting contents that are meant only to direct users to a page despite the content being totally unrelated to the title.

The other article shared by topnewsph.info, which shares the same title proves to be nothing but a clickbait because the content talks about the meeting of President Duterte and the parents of slain teenager Kian Delos Santos.

Comments made by Duterte supporters range from mockery to direct threats. Name calling is also very noticeable in the comments. Some of the commenters called Trillanes a traitor. In the same breath, they compared Trillanes with slain former Sen. Aquino, whom they referred to as a traitor as well.


advertisement

The story was picked up by blogs with names such as duterte4.altervista.org, newsflow.tk, newsflow2017.blogspot.com, timenewsinformation.blogspot.com, newsprimeph.blogspot.com, politico.altervista.org, and more.

The posts were spread widely by different Facebook pages that support the president, such as “Pres. Duterte Community” and “Duterte for a Change,” and even by the page of the supporters of Special Assistant to the President Bong Go, among others. Facebook page “Time News Information,” bearing President Duterte’s photo, also shared the story.

Some netizens shared the link to the story to Facebook groups such as “Marcos Loyalist” and “President Rody Duterte Facebook Army.”

But just like with the case with topnewsph.info, the content was not relevant to the headline at all.

If one would do a quick search, no reliable source quoted Trillanes for saying that he is prepared to die for the freedom of the country.

The post circulated at the height of the national call for justice for slain teenager Kian Delos Santos who was allegedly killed helplessly and brutally by members of Caloocan Police.

Trillanes visited the wake of Delos Santos and spoke to the parents of the 17-year-old. He condemned the brutal killing of the teen.

“Last year pa natin ipinagsisigawan na mali ito. Kung hindi pa sila nahuli ng CCTV camera at nag-alburuto pa yung mamamayan, tuloy-tuloy na ito at hindi ito hihinto,” he was quoted by ABS-CBN News.

The death of Delos Santos has been a big issue that also caught the interest of international media.

A senate hearing was also held to investigate the death of Delos Santos.

 

Source: ( ABS CBN News )

advertisement

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: SC orders Kris Aquino to return ‘Imelda Marcos diamond necklace’? Fake news alert!

Published

on

A blogspot claimed that the Supreme Court released a two-page memo allegedly ordering actress and former presidential sister Kris Aquino to return the diamond necklace she borrowed from Malacañang during her brother, former President Benigno Aquino III’s, term. The necklace, according to the story, is allegedly part of the things that the Philippine government seized from the Marcos family.

The post, which was published on February 6, and posted by the Facebook page “Philippine News Courier” on the same day, has gained several comments condemning Aquino for allegedly not following the orders of the Supreme Court.

 

Speculations of Aquino wearing a jewelry formerly owned by former First Lady Imelda Marcos first surfaced in October 2016. She allegedly wore it at an Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation event held on November 18-19, 2015.

Responding to the rumor, Aquino posted on her Instagram account a denial of the allegations.

The post reads:

advertisement

“It seems you don’t want me to stay quiet and your trolls want to keep perpetuating lies about me. My friend JC Buendia & my sister Viel both showed me this paulit ulit na FB post. The necklaces supposedly belonged to Mrs Marcos & I was brazen enough to wear them for the APEC DINNER. Duh? The necklace I wore was made from cubic zirconia & silver- hindi po DIAMONDS, in other words fake sila although Bottega Veneta naman. ENOUGH! And the TRUTH is on my side- including credit card receipts. P.S. I have a long standing event for #ARIEL on Tuesday, even if my necklaces aren’t appropriate for showing how you can remove more than 100 different types of stains- what the heck, isusuot ko na sila, after all I paid for them w/ hard earned, tax paid income, and hindi ko na problema kung yung pagnanakaw ng iba trip nilang ibintang/pagtakpan using me- and to be perfectly clear, I’m not referring to Mrs. Marcos. So this is FAIR WARNING- stop lying about me if you don’t want your rotting skeletons unearthed. #IAMBACK (sic)”.

MemeBuster also busted this same story two years ago via the post Busted: Kris Aquino did NOT wear Imelda Marcos’ jewelry.

As what we’ve said in our article, it is impossible for Aquino to get hold of the said jewelry pieces because these are kept safely at the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas’ high security vault.

The Presidential Commission on Good Governance said that the keys are held by four different agencies – the PCGG, COA, Bureau of Customs, and the Office of the President.

PCGG commissioner Andrew de Castro was also quoted saying that Aquino’s jewelry look different from the ones owned by Marcos. The Marcos jewelry in question is adorned with dark jewels connecting the diamonds to each other.

Aquino said that her jewelry is made of cubic zirconia and silver, not diamond. She added that she bought it from Bottega Veneta, an Italian luxury goods and high fashion brand house best known for its leather goods.

advertisement

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: CHR slammed surprise military attack on NPA as blatant human rights violation? It’s fake news!

Published

on

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) allegedly condemned the surprise attack by government forces on New People’s Army terrorists, according to a post by The Philippine Pride.

According to the post, the attack resulted to the death of 21 bandits and is considered by the Philippine government as the most successful military operation against the NPA under the Duterte administration. It also said that a certain Roberto Dulango, an alleged NPA member, was killed last May 4 while in police custody in Bohol, another incident that the CHR criticized.

The post further says that the CHR official, who refused to reveal his identity, wanted the military to have at least allowed the rebels finish their meals before the airstrike was conducted. The surprised bandits, allegedly left the camp hurriedly leaving their meals and other belongings while the military took over their camp.

But the source of all these claims is dubious, it being the phnewspride.blogspot.com. It has been featured here in MemeBuster for publishing fake stories like Mark Anthony Fernandez impregnating two lady cops while he was detained and Rep. Baguilat cancelling his Hong Kong trip after his aide was caught with ecstasy at NAIA.

Checking phnewspride.blogspot.com, it describes itself as a blog that is dedicated to Pinoys here and abroad. It can be noticed, however, that it started only in November last year.

An exact copy of the phnewspride.blogpost.com’s article was also posted in the thinkingpinoys.info but still it does not attribute or coincide with a reliable news source.

The thinkingpinoys.info post was shared by the “Duterte News Everywhere” Facebook page.

Other blogs, such as balita15.altervista.org, powerofduterte.com, netizenblogph.blogspot.com, radiohubph.info, philippine37tv.blogspot.pe, also carried the story. These blogs’ version of the story were further shared by individual Facebook users to groups such as “President Rody Duterte Facebook Army” and “Federalism Under Duterte Administration” and by Facebook pages “Duterte Supporters Worldwide,” “Filipinas Trending,” and “Budoy News.”

Page followers were quick to comment negatively against CHR headed by Commissioner Chito Gascon (not Chino as posted on the page).

Basing on the timeline that was given in the post, it could be deduced that it is fictional. Legitimate news sources have not reported any recent encounter of government forces and the NPA.

advertisement

The alleged NPA member Roberto Dulango that the post claims died in police custody last May 4 may also be fictional. There are no news stories from legitimate news sources in the Visayas or nationwide that discussed Dulango’s alleged death.

Franco Mabanta, who fell for another post by the phnewspride.blogspot.com in the past, has said that it is a satirical site. A satire is a literary work that uses irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, and the like.

The quote used in the post clearly demonstrates a ridiculous situation where warring parties have to warn each other of their attacks.

If you Google that quote in the article, you’d only find it published in blogs but not in more established sources.

The CHR has been a subject of attacks by Duterte supporters for allegedly siding with criminals instead of the victims. It could be remembered that CHR was given a P1,000 budget by the House of Representatives during the deliberations for the 2018 budget last year.

However, Duterte supporters need to be reminded that the CHR is a commission mandated to “protect the rights of the people from abuse by state agents such as the government, police and the military. The CHR is mandated to ensure that the government will not abuse and violate its duty to protect the primary rights of the people”. You can check out this infographic that distinguishes the duties of the CHR and the Philippine National Police here.

Gascon himself has been the subject of several fake stories, some of which MemeBuster has debunked. There were made-up stories about him wanting to protect Maute Group’s human rights, a story that came from a satirical site and him saying President Duterte can be charged with genocide for killing Maute terrorists. President Duterte himself made a false statement when he remarked that Gascon is not a lawyer, when the CHR chairman even got a master’s degree in law abroad.

 

Sources: PhilStar

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read