Connect with us

Busted

Busted: Bayan’s Renato Reyes calls out fake news about him being hospitalized in Bacolod

Published

on

Bayan Secretary General Renato Reyes called out those who spread fake news about him being hospitalized in Bacolod.

“If you still don’t get that it’s fake, let me make it clear. I was never hospitalized in Bacolod. I’m fine,” he wrote on Facebook on November 24.

His clarification came after several blogs claimed that he, along with six other people, were admitted to a hospital in Bacolod after they were hit by empty bottles while conducting a protest. These blogs include Okd2.com, localhero.altervista.org, and jessicaal.altervista.org.

Facebook pages such as “President Rodrigo Duterte” and “Philippine News Courier.”

It was also shared by some netizens to Facebook groups such as “BongBong Marcos United,” “REAL PHILIPPINE HISTORY,” and “Team Duterte for Federalism.”

Clicking on Okd2’s story, “Just In: Renato Reyes Jr., 6 Others Hospitalized In Bacolod After Gettingg Hit By Empty Bottles While Attending Local Protest,” we found it tagged under “humor & satire,” so the story should have been treated just like any satirical story – examined and researched about carefully to separate the facts from the fictional bits that were meant to be fun since it is satirical. However, many netizens usually don’t take the time to research more about what they read online, mostly relying only on the articles’ titles. If only they did a little research, they could have led themselves away from the altervista blogs and found the Okd2 story, which has the satirical disclaimer.

advertisement

According to Okd2’s story, Reyes was protesting against Coca-Cola in Bacolod City along with other militant groups such as the Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU), National Federation of Sugar Workers, and Gabriela Negros on November 22 over the company’s use of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). The rally in front of the company’s plant in Mansilingan, Bacolod grew into chaos when the protesters blocked the front gate, in turn blocking a delivery truck. Eventually, truck driver Andres Macabebe returned to the plant and with two helpers, started taking throwing empty soft drink bottles at the protesters, hitting mostly people’s faces.

In the chaos, Reyes was hit four times or more, causing him to suffer a broken jaw and deep cuts. He was said to be advised to undergo facial surgeries, but Coca-Cola refused to shoulder the hospitalization of the injured protesters.

The Okd2 story also mentioned something about the protest being in part a criticism of Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol for favoring the company and a call to boycott Coca Cola and other beverage company for using HFCS, which caused the reduction in local sugar prices.

Reyes and the other injured protesters were said to be initially admitted to “Western Visayas Regional Hospital,” but that Reyes was already recovering at “Riverseide Medical Center.” Bayan was also said to have demanded payment from Coca-Cola for Reyes’ P185,000 hospital bill.

There were some facts in the Okd2 story, such as people protesting against Coca-Cola for using HFCS, calling for a boycott of the beverage companies for using the same ingredient and lowering the price of domestic sugar, and calling out Piñol for “favoring” the said beverage company. They even got the address of the Coca-Cola plant in the protest right.

However, what’s not true was how Reyes and other protesters were injured and hospitalized in Bacolod after undergoing facial surgery. Reyes himself said he was “fine” after denouncing the story as “fake.”

And we just found Okd2’s follow-up story to that initial story about hospitalization. This time, it is about Bayan and Coca-Cola arguing over Reyes’ hospital bill.

Of course, this story is not true since, as what was previously mentioned, Reyes was not really rushed to a Bacolod hospital so there was no hospital bill that need to be paid.

The story was picked up by other blogs ptvbalita.com and netiviral.com, which labeled the story as “satire news” right in their title.

However, there were still a few netizens who did not get that the story was satirical.

A little research would have helped the netizens who fell for the story that started out as a satire and ended up as a story without proper disclaimer when it was duplicated by other blogs.

There were other fictional stories written about Reyes too that we’ve debunked. There were stories claiming that he offered to stop protesting if President Duterte will give him an executive job and was caught playing video karera, among others.

advertisement

Busted

Busted: Robredo wants to add years to the K-to-12 program? It’s fake news!

Published

on

Vice President Leni Robredo’s office released a statement debunking social media posts claiming that she wants to add a few more years to the K-to-12 program. This came after several posts started circulating about how Robredo allegedly said that she wanted to add a few more years to the K-to-12 program, angering netizens.

A certain tweet on March 1, 2020 showed the vice president’s photo along with these words: “Kulang ang K to 12 education system natin. Kelangan apat na taon sa Junior HS at apat na taon sa Senior HS.”

In January 17, the same image shared to the Facebook page “Raffy Tulfo In Action Supporters” also got shared over 6,000 times and triggered negative comments among the netizens.

Many social media users have lambasted Robredo over the said meme.

The unwarranted bashing and adverse reactions prompted her office to release an official statement debunking this false claim.

“Hindi totoong pinadadagdagan ni VP Leni Robredo ang mga taon sa K-to-12 program,” said the vice president’s office in a statement.

“Suportado ng Bise Presidente kung sakaling magkaroon ng review ng nasabing programa. Binibigyang-diin niya na kailangang siguraduhin na may tamang facilities at equipment ang mga specialized tracks, para mas maging madali ang pagtuturo nito at matiyak ang kahandaang makapagtrabaho ng mga mag-aaral sa kanilang pagtatapos,” it added.

In October 2019, Robredo did say that she was alright with reviewing how the K-to-12 program to determine how it could be further improved.

“Tumutugon rin ang kaniyang Tanggapan, kasama ang #AngatBuhay partners nito, sa pangangailangan ng tamang kagamitan. Nakapagbigay na ng kaukulang tools at equipment sa mga mahihirap na paaralan, gaya sa Mulanay sa Quezon, Panglao sa Bohol, at Sta. Maria sa Romblon,” the statement further said.

This is not the first time Robredo has been a victim of fake news. There were false claims, misleading headlines, and edited images or captions about how former Senator Bongbong Marcos has already won over Robredo, how she met former UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon to oust President Rodrigo Duterte, or how her portrait was sold on eBay, something that a popular blogger apologized for.

Sources: ( inquirer.net , news.mb.com.ph )

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: Walang kasalanan ang Tulfo brothers ayon sa imbestigasyon? It’s a misleading headline!

Published

on

An article has claimed that an investigation has found the Tulfo brothers to be not guilty. It says, “Lumabas Sa Imbestigasyon Na Walang Kasalanan Ang Tulfo Brothers,” as published by the website phworkit.top.

The story was even shared by Facebook pages “Ferdinand Emmanual Edralin Marcos” and “Rody Duterte MEDIA.”

However, the article merely contained a 10-minute YouTube video, which was a mix several video clips of different reports, some parts of which touched on the issues involving the P60 million tourism ads that aired on the PTV program of Teo’s brothers, the Tulfos.

One of the video clips showed that the CNN Philippines reported on why nepotism is considered corruption and abused of authority in the case of now-resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda and how her husband, Roberto Teo, served as the board member of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA). But Roberto was appointed by former President Benigno Aquino III and has tendered his resignation from TIEZA effective June 30, 2018.

advertisement

Another video clip showing a CNN Philippines report of a Malacañang press briefing, where a reporter asked Presidential Spokesperon Harry Roque if Communications Secretary Martin Andanar would be among those investigated in the controversial placement of P60 million worth of tourism ads on the program of the Tulfos, who are Teo’s brothers, leading people to raise the issue of conflict of interest. As the PCOO chief, he also supervises the state-run PTV-4, where the Tulfos’ programs are a blocktimer.

Asked by yet another reporter what President Rodrigo Duterte’s comment was on the issue with the DOT and the Tulfos, Roque said that he did not know then because he had not talked to the President for a while and the investigation conducted by the Office of the President was ongoing then.

The headline used in the video is misleading. It meant to make people think that the Tulfo brothers have been cleared from the issue involving them with the controversial P60-million tourism ad deal.

However, reports showed that even after Teo resigned from her post on May 7, the Ombudsman will still continue with the probe into the scandal. The body requested from the Commission on Audit (COA) a copy of its DOT report involving the controversial P60-million worth of payments for ads aired on PTV on May 8. The investigation is still ongoing, which meant that they it has not yet cleared the Tulfos.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea is also said to be investigating the scandal to determine the officials at fault at the DOT, People’s Television Network Inc. (PTNI), and the PCOO.

Ramon Tulfo, an Inquirer columnist, came out in the defense of his sister Teo and blamed  his younger brother Ben Tulfo for the controversy.

Party-list group Akbayan, however, said it was not enough for Teo to step down from her post. They wanted her to be prosecuted.

“The simple firing or resignation of corrupt officials will not put a stop to corruption in the government if this is not followed by swift prosecution and conviction,” the group said in a statement.

Akbayan also challenged President Duterte to file cases against Ben and Erwin Tulfo over the controversial ad transaction. Ben owns Bitag Media, which produced the PTV show “Kilos Pronto,” the program where the DOT ads were aired. His brother, Erwin, co-hosts the show with him.

Sources: ( newsinfo.inquirer.ne , thestandard.com.ph , cnnphilippines.com , rappler.com , news.abs-cbn.com , businessmirror.com.ph )

advertisement

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: Legarda sinumbatan si Robredo na mag-resign bago pa lumabas ang resulta na panalo si Marcos? Misleading headline!

Published

on

Senator Loren Legarda allegedly confronted Vice President Leni Robredo and asked her to resign before the results would show former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. as the winner.

The video was posted by blog dailydu30.info on May 15, 2018. The vice presidential vote recount is still ongoing, so the headline must have been referring to the result of the recount. It also made it seem as though Legarda is telling Robredo that she is certain that Marcos would emerge as the winner in the recount.

The YouTube video is 20-minute long and Legarda’s face was immediately shown at the beginning of the video. However, if you finish watching it, you’d know immediately that the video was not taken recently. In fact, it showed a portion of the budget hearing for 2017 for the Office of the Vice President. Further research showed that the hearing was conducted in front of the Senate panel on August 22, 2017 and it lasted less than an hour before it was approved. Robredo herself attended the budget hearing to present an overview of the OVP’s plans for 2018.

Legarda served as the Senate panel’s chair.

During the hearing, Robredo reported how the OVP spent its funds, mainly for poverty alleviation.

advertisement

The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that following the presentation on the fund allocation of the OVP, Legarda asked Robredo to send them a yearlong report on the needs of the sectors and areas that the OVP has reached while promising to help out on fulfilling those needs.

So unlike what the headline claimed, Legarda did not tell Robredo to resign from her VP post to make way for Marcos’ imminent victory. The headline is misleading and is merely playing with people’s emotions and gullibility.

However, Facebook page “Sara Duterte Worldwide Supporters” still shared it without verifying the headline’s claims.

There have been several fake stories involving Marcos and Robredo and the VP vote recount that we have busted. We debunked a misleading headline claiming that Marcos has already won, that Marcos won by 1,786 votes over Robredo, that Robredo would perform her tasks as VP until Marcos takes over, and that Marcos will replace Robredo.

Sources: ( philstar.comnewsinfo.inquirer.net )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read