A terror attack happened anew in Nice, France last night of July 14, 2016. A truck allegedly drove right through the celebrating crowd as they were watching fireworks displays. No truck explosions were reported so far but the terrible crash left many dead and others seriously injured. As of this writing, 77 are reported dead (and the number may even increase said a report), 16 “absolutely critical,” while 31 critically injured, according to the news site Mirror.Co.Uk.
A news reporter of Nice Matin, a regular newspaper in the region, said the huge white truck was “riddled with bullets” when it rushed through the crowd. The reporter, who happened to be on site during the incident, said there was blood on the street, describing the magnitude of the tragedy.
The newspaper Nice Matin published a photograph of the delivery truck which appeared to be used for long distance deliveries. Weapons were reported to have been found in the truck which, according to reliable sources, indicated a planned attack. One unconfirmed news report said the driver shot at people from his window as he rammed the truck through them. Another report said the crowd was allegedly sprayed with bullets. The truck driver was killed by the police.
Anti-terror police and emergency units were quickly at the scene and helping people affected by the attack. The local French media said about 30 kids are among those being treated, and 4 of them have severe head injuries.
A lot of gunshots were heard after the truck terror attack and people scampering here and there either for safety or to look for lost loved ones.
Christian Estrosi, region president, decried that this recent incident is “the worst disaster in the history of Nice as more than 70 people have already lost their lives.” To allay further fears, Estrosi assured the public that “We are currently in touch with the State authorities who are dealing with this crisis.”
Meanwhile, US President Barak Obama denounced the “deadly” terror attack and offered assistance in investigating the incident.
“On behalf of the American people, I condemn in the strongest terms what appears to be a horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France, which killed and wounded dozens of innocent civilians,” Obama declared in a statement.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also issued a statement of condolences to the families of the victims: “Canadians are shocked by tonight’s attack in Nice. Our sympathy is with the victims, and our solidarity with the French people.”