Resbak, an alliance of artists, posted an almost six-minute video on their Facebook page about what you should do when you are dealing with the police during Operation TokHang. With over 7,000 deaths, the group wanted to educate the Filipinos about what to do when they suddenly find themselves the subject of TokHang. They easily abbreviates these eight fundamental rights into M.A.T.A.P.A.N.G.
- M for Manahimik. You can choose to keep quiet and not answer the cops’ questions during interrogations.
- A for Ayoko. You don’t really need to grant the cops entry into your home if they say they want to search your home for illegal drugs.
- T for Tumawag. You can call your lawyer and avail of his services even if you don’t have money to pay for it.
- A for Alis. You can leave if the cops cannot provide enough basis to keep you in the police station.
- P for Pribado. You should only be frisked for illegal items in a private place and only cops of the same sex should do it.
- A for Alamin. You have the right to know the name and rank of the cop in charge of the operation.
- N for Numero. You can call Resbak at 0956 874 2385 if you or someone’s rights got violated under TokHang.
- G for Go. You go and follow the rules indicated above.
You can watch the video below, which was done as a spoof of the recently concluded Miss Universe 2017.