Connect with us

News

Who should we believe? Duterte says Imee Marcos donated to his campaign, but Imee denies it

Published

on

President Rodrigo Duterte said a few weeks ago that he cannot dissociate himself from the Marcoses. Part of the reason was the fact that his father, Vicente Duterte, served as one of the Cabinet members of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos. Another reason would be that his son-in-law’s family hails from Paoay, Ilocos Norte, giving him blood relations to Ilokanos.

Yet another reason would be the fact that Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos even borrowed money to donate to his election campaign when only had a few supporters.

“Sino sa inyo ang nagsuporta sa akin? Ilan lang? 4, 5, 6? Wala akong barangay captain, wala akong congressman. Wala akong pera. Si Imee pa ang nagbigay. Sabi niya inutang daw niya. Imee supported me,” Duterte said during the Third Sulong Pilipinas Convention at Dusit Thani Hotel in Makati City on October 4.

He made this statement after spotting Marcos in the crowd.

 

Not in Duterte’s SOCE

However, Marcos’ said donation was not reflected in Duterte’s Statement of Contribution and Expenditures (SOCE).

Rappler reported that incomplete SOCEs are considered as “not filed,” as per Comelec rules. Failure to file one’s SOCE prevents the winning candidate from assuming office.

However, there are no clear rules as to what might happen to winning candidates who have been sworn into office.

Those who failed to file their SOCEs may be required to pay P1,000 to P30,000 as penalty.

Comelec said last week that they need a formal complaint before they can launch any investigation into Marcos’ alleged contribution to Duterte’s campaign kitty.

“The Comelec cannot act unless a formal complaint has been lodged,” Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez said.

“Whoever is interested can file a complaint,” he added.

Jimenez said that Duterte’s remarks are not enough to start a motu propio investigation, considering the “many uncertainties” in those remarks and the possibility that he “misspoke.”

However, he said that those same remarks can be used to lodge a formal complaint to launch a Comelec probe.

advertisement

Imee denied being Duterte’s election contributor

On Monday, October 17, Marcos dismissed Duterte’s remarks about her contributing to his campaign kitty as a joke.

“Wala namang katotohanan ‘yan. Palabiro lang ang Presidente Duterte, pinapalundag niya tayong lahat, pati ako, napalundag eh,” she told the media outside the Supreme Court, where she mingled with supporters of her late father’s burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

She added that her only contribution to Duterte’s campaign was to pitch votes for the then-Davao City mayor in the “Solid North” provinces, where the Marcoses remain influential.

Former Senator Bongbong Marcos was the running mate of the late Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago.

Marcos said that she supported Duterte without asking for anything in return.

“Sinuportahan natin siya (Duterte) at walang kapalit,” she said.

 

Marcos was referring to accusations from Martial Law victims who said that the Marcoses cut a deal with Duterte by funding his campaign in exchange for allowing her father to be buried at the heroes’ cemetery.

“It now appears that Marcos’ burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani is the payback for the payment he admitted receiving from Ms. [Imee] Marcos. And that the campaign promise was not one made generally to the electorate, but specifically to Imee and the Marcos family, in exchange for monetary support for his presidential bid,” said Etta Rosales, a former chairwoman of the Commission on Human Rights and a victim of martial law.

“Inamin naman ni Imee nung nagsabi si Presidente Rodrigo Duterte na thank you for the contribution, nag-smile si Imee very sweetly at inamin naman nya,” Rosales added, in reaction to Marcos smiling widely after Duterte’s ‘donation’ remarks.

Now, we’re confused. Just who should we believe in? Who is telling the truth? Is it Duterte or is it Imee?

Sources: (gmanetwork.com, rappler.com, news.abs-cbn.com)

 

advertisement

News

Netizens slam Duterte for saying women ‘could not stand threats and intimidation’

Published

on

President Rodrigo Duterte drew flak for another controversial comment involving women after he remarked on May 24 that women “could not stand threats and intimidation.”

Duterte said that while he believed in women’s competence, it does not necessarily ring true in all aspects of life.

“I believe in the woman, the competence and capability, pero hindi lahat sa buhay dapat.Hindi ka, hindi, hindi. Dapat lang. It’s not appropriate when you cannot stand threats and intimidation,” he said in his May 24 speech.

He also said that women should be “prim and proper” and talked about his reservation in sending women police and soldiers to the field because unlike men, they did not grow up with a mindset that involves violence.

“Ang mga babae, sundalo pati pulis, ayaw ko ‘yan sa bukid. Unlike men kami, maliit pa lang, suntukan, bakbakan, barilan. And we grew up with a sort of a mindset na sometimes prone to violence. Itong mga babae, prim and proper man ‘yan, isang tingin lang sa nanay niyan, wala na tunaw na ‘yan. Tapos gawin mong pulis, ipaaway mo doon. Naku,” Duterte remarked.

Netizens then took to social media to react to Duterte’s most recent statements, making #BabaeAko trend again on Twitter.

“Mr. President, you just horrifyingly disrespected your own mother who bravely fought against the Marcos dictatorship. She withstood threats and intimidation. Siya ay babae! #BabaeAko,” a Twitter user remarked.

Forensic expert Dr. Raquel Fortun spoke out, too, saying “I am threatened and intimidated a lot. All my life. Don’t me. #BabaeAko.”

So did film and theater actress Chai Fonacier, who said, “Encouraging women — and I mean including those who identify as women — and our friends from the entire spectrum to share your #BabaeAko statements to fight the misogyny that the President and his ilk normalize through their behavior. Make them remember the feminine strength.”

KABATAAN Partylist Rep. Sarah Elago also reacted, saying she refused to be stereotyped.

Former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay urged other Filipinos to protest against Duterte’s misogynistic statements.

Other Twitter users weighed in on the issue.

Duterte’s previous misogynistic remarks

advertisement

His remarks in his speech on May 24 seemed to have sought to explain another controversial remark he made on May 16 when he said that he did not want a politician, especially a woman, to become the next Ombudsman.

“Mag-nominate sila, pero I choose, but gusto ko ‘yung bilib ang tao sa integrity niya. Of course it could not be a politician, lalo na hindi babae,” he said during a chance interview.

This gave birth to the launching of the #BabaeAko movement on social media on May 21 by women activists and other people who also want to protest Duterte’s misogynistic and sexist statements.

One of  the women who joined the #BabaeAko campaign was former Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo who said, “Akala ko taumbayan ang boss ni Duterte. Yun pala sina Marcos, Gloria, Trump at China. Para sa bayang makatarungan at malaya, lalaban ako.”

In February, he was also slammed for telling his audience of former NPA rebels that he told his soldiers to shoot female rebels in the vagina.

Sources: ( rappler.comphilstar.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

New DOT chief to ask Montano why he rushed official New York engagement to watch Broadway show

Published

on

Newly installed Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said she plans on talking with Tourism Promotions Board (TPB) COO Cesar Montano to ask for his side on certain accusations that were hurled against him.

Among these accusations came from an Abante report where Montano was said to have rushed a speaking engagement staged by the DOT in New York to watch the Broadway musical show “Hamilton.”

DOT reportedly launched the Philippine Tourism Presentation and Dinner Reception on May 9 to showcase Philippine tourism and fashion at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York. Montano was introduced as the event’s keynote speaker, but he was said to have only spoken for a bit before hurriedly leaving the venue, disappointing the guests, which also included US officials.

Montano was said to have been invited to the event in behalf of the now-resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo. He was also named as one of the two hosts, the other being Teo, of the said event.

In reaction to this report about Montano, Puyat said she would talk to Montano as well as the Tourism attache and other DOT officials who attended the event to verify the accusation in the report mentioned above.

advertisement

Puyat said that she would investigate into the “Buhay Carinderia” program that the TPB is set to implement. This was after Philippine Star Boo Chanco accused Montano of issuing P80-million worth of three checks to the event proponent and organizer.

“I still don’t have the papers. I will be asking [and] will be arranging a meeting with Mr. Cesar Montano to ask about ‘yung mga nabasa ko sa ‘Buhay Carinderia’ – kung totoo ba na walang bidding ‘yung P80 million na advance,” Puyat said on May 15.

“I’m planning to talk to him and ask his side. I want to ask all those who were there if it actually happened,” Puyat added.

In March 2017, TPB employees filed a complaint against Montano for his alleged corruption and mismanagement of the agency. These include hiring friends and relatives, using TPB’s funds for personal trips, and showing incompetence in fulfilling his obligations as the agency’s COO.

Sources: ( tnt.abante.com.phphilstar.comrappler.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Eldest Tulfo vows to help Wanda clear her name, berates ‘black sheep’ Ben over controversial P60-M DOT ad deal

Published

on

Inquirer columnist Ramon Tulfo spoke up about the controversy involving his siblings, now resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Tulfo-Teo and hosts Ben and Erwin Tulfo, over the P60 million tourism ad deal.

The eldest Tulfo wrote in his Inquirer column on May 10 that while President Rodrigo Duterte himself advised the Tulfo family to avoid talking to the media, he took it upon himself as the family’s acting patriarch to tell the story behind the controversy.

First up, Ramon blamed Teo for not hiring smart staff members who could have advised her against inking a deal with PTV 4, where one of the Tulfo brothers, Ben, was a blocktimer.

As a blocktimer, Ben pays for his TV show’s airtime on the state-run channel.

According to Ramon, Wanda was only complying with President Duterte’s injunction for his Cabinet secretaries to support PTV 4, adding that she did not know Ben’s company would get most of the multimillion advertising contract with DOT.

He also hit Ben, whom he called a “black sheep” with a “middle child” syndrome as the fifth child out of 10 siblings, for signing the P60-million advertising contract with PTV 4 despite knowing that there would be a conflict of interest on Wanda’s part.

Ramon also said that Wanda still tried to save Ben, who insisted on his innocence amid the controversy, leading her to resign from her post. He also explained that Wanda seemed to have forgotten the fact that her husband was on the board of director of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (Tieza), a part of DOT, when Duterte appointed her as tourism chief. He added that it should have been up to her husband to step down from his post upon his wife’s appointment.

advertisement

In the same column, he also slammed Wanda’s lawyer, Ferdinand Topacio, whom he said did not even consult the Tulfo brothers on returning the P60-million funds from the ad deal. He also described the lawyer as “all talk,” a counsel who’s only focused on gaining publicity for himself.

Unlike what has been previously reported about Wanda resigning out of delicadeza amid the controversy, Ramon let it slip that he commended President Duterte for “sacking Wanda,” prompting some people to ask whether Wanda was fired instead of resigned.

Before he ended his column, he vowed to support “Wanda’s fight to clear her name, but not Ben’s.”
Wanda resigned on May 8 to show delicadeza and to spare everyone, especially Duterte, from the pain caused by the controversy, according to her lawyer.

The issue started with the Commission on Audit’s report showing the DOT paying P60 million worth of commercials to PTV 4, which in turn, tapped Ben’s Bitag Media Unlimited Inc. to air the tourism ads during Ben and Erwin’s show “Kilos Pronto.”

Malacañang said that Teo’s resignation does not mean that she is off the hook since the Ombudsman is still looking into her and other government officials involved in the controversial ad deal.

Sources: ( inquirer.netnews.abs-cbn.com , nnphilippines.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read