Connect with us

News

Netizens criticize nat’l suicide prevention hotline for false promise of 24/7 accessibility

Published

on

Hopeline, the national support hotline to prevent suicide and depression, is currently the subject of a barrage of criticisms online for being inaccessible beyond office hours despite its promise of 24/7 availability.

Twitter user Ligia Dagoy took to Twitter on July 5 to slam the hotline, which supposedly told her “business hours are now closed.”



Since then, her tweet has been retweeted over 5,000 times and liked almost 22,000 times.

The Department of Health, partnered with the Natasha Goulbourn Foundation and the World Health Organization, launched Hopeline on National Suicide Prevention Awareness Day on September 13, 2016. Hopeline was meant to be a 24/7 suicide prevention hotline that can be reached at (02) 804-4637; 0917-5584673; and 2919 for TM and Globe subscribers.

Rappler reported that Daroy dialed Hopeline at around 8pm on July 5, but instead heard an automated voice telling her, “Sorry. Business hours are only from 6am to 8pm.”

She told Rappler that she was depressed and opted to call the hotline instead of her friends, but was surprised at the answer she got.

“I was depressed. I thought all of my friends are tired of listening to me so I called Hopeline. Then I got, ‘Sorry. Business hours are only from 6 am to 8 pm,’” Daroy said.

“What if it was someone who was actually ready to jump off a building, tapos ganoon ‘yung maririnig mo (then you will hear something like that)?” she said.

“I didn’t mean to attack them but if it will be addressed it would be really nice,” Daroy added.

Hopeline denies inaccessibility

Hopeline denied the claims in the now viral tweet.

Dr. Bernardino Vicente, head of the National Center of Mental Health, denied the hotline’s inaccessibility, adding that there are other numbers to call.

“Hindi lang naman isang number ang number ng Hopeline. We have several numbers kasi we anticipate na one thunder lang, puwedeng bumagsak ‘yung isang line. We have lines that are operated by PLDT, and lines that are operated by Globe,” he told Rappler.

Hopeline’s program consultant, Mila Rolinas said that glitches usually happen during peak hours, especially since there are only 12 consultants taking the calls. She added that some phone calls may run for over 20 minutes, especially in high-risk situations, but she emphasized that Hopeline is available 24/7.

NGF told Inquirer that the hotline had technical issues before but were already resolved by Globe Telecom.

Hopeline denies apathetic responses

Aside from the hotline’s alleged inaccessibility, some netizens also raised the issue of how consultants answered their calls apathetically.



Vicente once again denied such claims.
advertisement

“Definitely, hindi mag-a-answer ‘yung staff namin ng, ‘Sorry, nasa simbahan ako’ or ‘Sorry, out of line kami.’ I don’t think any of our staff ay mag-a-answer ng ganoon,” he said.

He added that their consultants are well trained and are experts in the behavioral sciences.

Vicente noted that Hopeline allows callers with depression or suicidal tendencies to get the help they need without revealing their identity. However, he said that the hotline currently does not have a system in getting feedback from callers.

Rolinas said, though, that there are cases when callers called them back to give updates on how they are doing after getting support from the hotline, with some saying that they have gone to see mental health professionals.

Instead of depending on the hotline, some netizens took it upon themselves to form support groups, such as Koko and 7 Cups.

With her tweet going viral, Daroy is hoping it will bring awareness to the issue and lead to improvements in the system.

“I really want people to start talking about it more. I hope they get the message and develop the system better,” she said.

Sources: ( rappler.com , gmanetwork.com )

advertisement

News

Paula Defensor-Knack urges fellow DDS to move to Russian social media site after leaving Facebook

Published

on

After reports surfaced about how Facebook tapped Vera Files and Rappler as its partners in fact checking everything that goes on the social media site, one Diehard Duterte Supporter urged her fellow DDS to shut their Facebook accounts down and move to a Russian social media website.

Paula Defensor-Knack, the younger sister of the late Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago and avid supporter of President Rodrigo Duterte, took to Facebook on April 13 to post detailed instructions for her fellow DDS to deactivate their Facebook accounts and migrate to Russia’s version of Facebook, called VK.com.

“Deactivate your accounts on FB only… so that you get the uncensored truth from us in VK.com and fight again in the rest of social media,” Knack wrote.

She then listed down all five steps that the DDS have to follow to complete the move to VK from Facebook. She wanted them to sign up for a VK account and find their DDS group, warned them about the lag in posting links on VK and how posting of pornographic materials are not allowed, and gave them a deadline of five days before all of Knack’s and other DDS groups on Facebook will be deactivated.

“After 5 days our groups will be deleted/deactivated. Do not let yellows censor or fact-check you. Lets leave them to talk to themselves and get votes,” Knack wrote.

“We will tell the world what is the truth in another platform – this time, in Europe! See you there!!!” she added.

Hours after the instructions for the migration to VK, Knack once again taunted the Liberal Party, while emphasizing how many DDS there are. In the same post, she also said that those living in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) within 24 hours of the announcement.

Both of these Facebook posts came hours after Knack took to Facebook to criticize its move to partner with Rappler and Vera Files for fact-checking.

“We will leave Vera Files and Rappler with no one to talk to or no account to suspend on FB. We will bring our defense of PRRD and the country to another international audience in the new social media platform which is free & easy to use,” she wrote.

Meme Buster has written several stories debunking fake stories and has found that some of them were shared by Knack herself.

advertisement

Knack shared a meme that made it seem as though Senator Risa Hontiveros flaunting her achievements, but it turned out to be a fake. She also shared that fake claim by a former Arroyo official about how the Magdalo group was allegedly connected to the Maute terrorists, something that even the defense chief denied, Aguirre’s misleading 2015 throwback photo of opposition lawmakers in Marawi, Senator Antonio Trillanes IV getting abandoned by Zambales crowd, and the photo of a man falsely accused as the cop who shot teenage victim Kian delos Santos and having a selfie with Robredo. In 2017, just like Communications Asec. Mocha Uson, Knack also dared people to send the media and support to a wake of a cop who died in 2016.

On April 12, Facebook announced its partnership with Vera Files and Facebook to launch a fact-checking program in the Philippines to “reduce the reach of false news stories on Facebook, check their facts, and rate their accuracy,” according to Clair Deevy, Facebook Director for Community Affairs for Asia Pacific.

Rappler and Vera Files will review stories flagged as fake news. Those that will be identified as such will be put lower in the Facebook News Feed and be less visible. Facebook users who will try to share the story will receive a notification that the story has been identified as false. Related articles will also be written about the fake stories to explain why they were flagged as such. Pages that will continue to stubbornly tell the story will have reduced post distribution and lesser ability to monetize their content.

Sources: ( rappler.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Election lawyer to Marcos’ accusations over ‘ballot anomalies:’ Wow mali na naman tayo

Published

on

Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. aired out his accusations over the alleged anomalies involving the opened ballots for the vice presidential vote recount on April 2.

In a Facebook post, he said that “100%  weather proof” and “waterproof” ballot boxes were “soaked in water,” a practice he described as something often used by election cheaters before a recount; found it laughable that Vice President Leni Robredo’s lawyer explained the incident as something that was caused by a storm in Camarines Sur; and found it suspicious how Robredo’s camp changed their tune by saying they are confident with the outcome of the recount.

But election lawyer Emil Marañon III addressed Marcos’ accusations one by one in a Facebook post and told the protesting politician, “Wow mali na naman tayo.”

Marañon deemed the practice of wetting the ballots as something used decades ago in 1992, but things have changed as the automated elections replaced the manual elections. He also pointed out that Marcos’ camp even asked for the scanned copies of each ballot to be printed.

“Una, wetting the ballots para mandaya sa recount is so 1992. Hindi katulad noong manual elections, sa automated election system, may scanned copies ang bawat balota na pwede balikan in case na masira, mabasa or mawala ang original paper ballots. Baka nakalimutan ni Mr Marcos na nag request nga siya to print them,” he wrote.

He also explained why ballot boxes are not exactly “weather proof” and “waterproof,” as per Marcos’ claims.

“Hindi lang raw “100% weather proof” but “waterproof” ang ballot boxes kaya hindi raw pwede mabasa. Mukhang hindi pa siya nakakakita ng ballot box at kung saan nakatago ang mga ito. By design, may mga butas talaga ang ballot boxes kung saan dumadaan ang balota mula sa Vote Counting Machine (VCM) going to the box. Yes, kadalasan doon nakakapasok ang tubig pag directly naulanan ang mga ito,” Marañon explained.

The election lawyer further said that most ballot boxes are simply stored somewhere exposed to the elements, such as a gym, but that it won’t matter as much because there are ballot images that can be used as backup reference.

As for Marcos accusing Robredo’s camp of doing everything to delay the vote recount, Marañon pointed out how it was her camp that even “filed a motion withdrawing all motions” and vowed not to file any, something that the Marcos camp failed to deliver when they were the ones that issued the challenge in the first place.

“The Robredo camp raw “did everything in their power to delay the recount.” Wow lang. The Vice President did not file any motion to delay the recount. In fact, she filed a motion withdrawing all motions na may dilatory effect sa proceedings and committed on record not to file any. Baka nakalimutan niyang siya ang hindi tumupad sa sarili niyang challenge at hindi nag-file ng motion to withdraw his dilatory motions,” he said.

Calling Marcos “Boy Kuryente,” Marañon corrected Marcos’ false assumption that audit logs are also stored in the ballot boxes.

“Sir, hindi naman talaga nilalagay ang audit logs sa loob ng ballot box. Sa procedure ng Comelec (pakibasa Resolution No. 10057, Article VII, Section 29 [f] 5), ang audit logs ay tinu-turnover ng Board of Election Inspectors (BEI) sa Election Officer (EO) ng bayan o siyudad after ng election. Pagkatapos, pinapadala ng EO ang naipong audit logs sa Comelec Main Office sa Maynila. Dahil doon, walang audit logs sa loob ng mga ballot boxes. Samakatuwid, huwag maghanap ng wala,” he wrote.

Before ending his Facebook post, Marañon urged Marcos to hire new consultants, considering how many “fake news” and false assumptions he has made over the past few months regarding his election protest.

“Sa dami ng fakenews, mali-mali at kuryente mo sa nakaraang mga buwan, please find better election consultants. Yung nakakaintindi naman kahit slight,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Twitter user hits Marcos, believers that Marcos had gold bars before he became president

Published

on

When the vice presidential vote recount started on April 2, one Twitter user made it his job to point out just how corrupt the Marcoses are and slam their supporters who believed that the family had gold bars even before the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr. became president.

Twitter user Alt BBM (@alt_BBM) started his thread with a survey, asking the Twitterverse if they believe in the tale about the Marcos gold bars.

He also tweeted a screenshot of a YouTube video with a title “Shocking Fact About the Gold Reserves of Ferdinand Marcos Revealed!”

He then urged his followers to watch a two-minute video clip of an old ABC News documentary called “20/20,” showing the lavish lifestyle of the Marcoses and the millions they accumulated.

There was also a clip, still from the same documentary, showing how the Marcoses had a custom built disco in Malacañang and invited several big names in the international entertainment industry during parties.

Alt BBM reminded his followers how the Marcoses built structures that the ordinary Filipinos did not even benefit from, such as the Coconut Palace and the Manila Film Center. The latter even cost the lives of 30 workers, who were described in the documentary as victims that other workers had to pour cement over because the former First Lady Imelda Marcos said there was no time to dig them out.

There were also clips posted in the thread about Imelda’s collection of jewelries, over 2,000 shoes, and clothes and her hoarder tendencies.

The rest of the thread went on to hit the Marcoses as a family. The last part was a clip showing a reporter asking Imelda how she managed to get expensive, beautiful things. Imelda said that it was because Marcos was a lawyer of a gold mining company and that she saw the gold herself at his home even before he was voted president.

Alt BBM commented on this remark by the former First Lady saying, “Sa mga naniniwala sa pagkakaroon ng maraming ‘Gold Bars/Reserve’ ng pamilya Marcoses, panoorin niyo tong interview ni Imelda with BBC news! Ang sagot niya ay lawyer daw si Ferdinand Marcos ng “Gold Mines”. KUMUSTA NAMAN ANG KWENTONG YAN?!”

He then addressed his lawyer followers if lawyers of gold mines do get filthy rich.

“Sa mga abogadong followers ko, ano kayang cases ang hawak ni Marcos para kumita siya ng ganong karaming pera? O di ba? Kaya kung may kaibigan kang naniniwala sa Gold Bars ng mga Marcoses, i unfriend mo na yang mga yan bago ka mahawa sa katangahan nila,” he tweeted.

He conducted a final survey asking other Twitter users if they still believe that Marcos was rich even before he became president because he had gold bars. The final results have come out, showing that 95% of those who answered the survey did not believe in the Marcoses’ claims.

MemeBuster has also written stories about the Marcos wealth before. Veteran journalist Ed Lingao has a short story on News5 debunking the myths about the sources of the Marcoses’ wealth and ended it with an explanation on why the Supreme Court decided to forfeit their Swiss bank accounts with $685 million in 2003. Another netizen also debunked the same stories about the Marcos gold one by one after several stories about the treasure went viral online.

Sources: ( news.abs-cbn.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read