Former Batangas Vice Governor Ricky Recto was said to have been a subject of a warrant of arrest from the Court of Appeals (CA), according to some articles shared by several Facebook fan pages.
The article was published by pinoyspeak.info, netizensph.com, du30today.com, and dugongmaharlika.com. It was shared by Facebook fan pages “President Duterte Supporters,” “Pilipinas Today,” “Duterte Trending Times,” “Richard ‘Dick’ Gordon Supporters,” and “Ronald ‘Bato’ Dela Rosa Supporters.”
The fan pages shared the article last year, with one we found sharing it last November, but it was re-shared this January too. Also, note just how it “President Duterte Supporter’s” post got as many as 5,398 shares and 5,600 reactions.
Upon checking the article, we found out that the Court of Appeals issued a warrant of arrest against Ricky Rector, the older brother of Senator Ralph Recto. Ricky was accused to being the brains behind the assassination of former Batangas Gov. Armando Sanchez in June 2006. There was even a P1 million bounty on Ricky’s head after he went into hiding.
It was in June 2009, when the Justice Department found probable cause to let the double murder, frustrated murder and destruction of property and the case was said to be pending at the Batangas RTC.
We also found out that the source was GMA News. In fact, its content was even copied word for word by the other blogs. But what surprised us is that the report was published on July 13, 2010.
We tried searching for relevant news reports about Ricky’s arrest and found one, still from GMA News, about how the Department of Justice cleared Ricky in the 2006 bombing incident.
It was Senior Deputy State Prosecutor Theodore Villanueva who overturned previous findings and found that there was “non-existence of probable cause” to hold Ricky for trial.
To clarify things, the arrest warrant was indeed issued against Ricky Recto in 2010, but he was eventually cleared of any charges in 2014.
Be Informed. Beat the Trolls, Share the Truth!