Connect with us


Busted: Zuckerberg admires and defends Duterte? It’s a misleading headline!



Some blogs have been claiming that Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg admired and defended Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte. At least, this is what the headline of the articles online said.

The story was picked up by blogs such as,,, and, among other blogs.


It was further shared around online by Facebook pages such as “Sara Duterte Worldwide Supporters,” “Latest Duterte News,” “Duterte Tayo,” and others.

But when you actually click on the article, it simply shows a YouTube video about a report by the American news cable and satellite TV network MSNBC on Facebook’s alleged deal with Duterte. The report discusses how fake news allegedly influenced the 2016 elections in November of that year in the US and how Duterte’s camp also used it during the elections.

The MSNBC report included a clip of Zuckerberg saying that he did not want Facebook to be used as a tool for undermining democracy and its defense about how it only learned about fake news, insisting that the social networking site is neutral. However, the report noted how the US elections was in November 2016 while the elections in the Philippines happened months earlier in May 2016 and how much earlier in March 2015, Facebook started partnering with the Philippines over the launching of, which aimed to give Filipinos free access to Internet services for jobs, education, health and communication via Smart.


“Facebook is a global company, and it was ground zero for this Putin-Duterte playbook long before Zuckerberg was playing naive about fake news after November, and repeating their mantra, ‘they’re just neutral.’ In fact, there was a whole scandal in that country, the Philippines, over fake news and bots in their election which was — wait for it — held in may 2016,” the MSNBC anchor Ari Melber said during the report.

The MSNBC report cited as example how there was a fake claim about how Pope Francis endorsed Duterte, the same fake story that also circulated about US President Donald Trump during his campaign. It also noted how Duterte’s campaign tactic was similar to what Russian President Vladimir Putin did.

It also mentioned how Rappler founder Maria Ressa talked to Zuckerberg himself and his Facebook team over the proliferation of fake news on social media.

“Facebook needs to moderate its greed, clean up the toxic waste, and be accountable for its role as the new gatekeeper to information,” Ressa said of the social media giant.

Throughout the over 10-minute report, Zuckberberg did not say anything about admiring Duterte or defending him. There was, instead, a short clip of him from a September 21, 2017 interview saying how he does not want Facebook to be used to undermine democracy.

“I don’t want anyone to use our tools to undermine democracy. That’s not what we stand for. The integrity of our elections is fundamental to democracy around the world,” the Facebook founder said.

The headline of the stories now circulating on Facebook is totally misleading and this isn’t even the first time Zuckerberg figured in a misleading or fake story linking him to Duterte. In June 2016, MemeBuster busted an edited photo showing Duterte raising Zuckerberg’s arm, which actually turned out to be him raising the hand of his then-running mate former Senator and now Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano.


Sources: ( )


If you’re with us in our advocacy in fighting online lies, we’d appreciate any donation to help keep us moving.


Busted: Aquino nagalit dahil papalitan ang NAIA ng ‘Manila International Airport’? Misleading headline alert!



A headline claimed that former President Benigno Aquino III got angry over the move to rename the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) into Manila International Airport.

The story bearing such headline was carried by and was shared by the Facebook page “Duterte Worldwide Supporters.” As of writing, the post has gotten over 1,000 shares.

Some netizens who commented on the post slammed Aquino over his alleged angry reaction to replacing the airport’s name.

However, the headline is misleading. If you click on the link, you will find a 3-minute YouTube video about a PTV News report on how lawyer Larry Gadon filed a petition before Congress to have NAIA’s name replaced.

This report was also picked up by GMA News, which tweeted about it in January 18, 2017.

It was also reported by the Philippine News Agency and published by the Philippine Canadian Inquirer on January 18, 2017.


“May petisyon kami na ginagawa, marami nang nakapirma. May mga nakausap na rin kaming congressmen na tutulong to change the name of NAIA back to MIA,” Gadon said of the petition.

He added that renaming NAIA back to its original name would help “shake off the jinx” that now comes with its reputation for being named the worst airport in the world and for being home to laglag-bala schemes.

The airport was renamed as NAIA in 1987 during the administration of the late President Corazon Aquino, whose husband, Ninoy, was shot to death at the tarmac when he descended from his plane upon arrival from the US.

Unlike what the headline claimed, no video, audio or article showed that the other Aquino president and Ninoy’s son reacted angrily to having his dad’s name stripped off the airport’s name. The headline is completely irrelevant to the article’s content, which meant that it was made just to get a rise out of the misled netizens.

Source: ( )


Continue Reading


Busted: Unpaid EDSA protesters mobbed LP headquarters in QC? Fake news alert!



After the opposition staged a rally on February 25 for the celebration of the EDSA People Power Revolution, over 400 unpaid protesters allegedly mobbed the headquarters of the Liberal Party to demand payment for their participation in the protest, according to a certain blogspot.

This was how framed the story and even cited a certain Police Senior Inspector Napoleon Caguitla who noticed the crowd in front of the LP office at the Balay Expo Centro Building, EDSA corner McArthur Avenue, Araneta Center.

Caguitla was quoted saying, “Pinuntahan natin kung tungkol saan ang komusyon dahil wala namang naireport sa atin na may gagawing rally rito, at yun nga, napag-alaman natin na ang iilan pala sa mga kababayan natin dito ay nagtitipon para hingin diumano ang bayad sa kanilang pagrally noong sabado.”

A rally organizer allegedly said that a high-ranking LP member promised to pay them P1,000 but instead, paid only P150 and a burger.

Another protester said he and his family members are entitled to receiving P5,000 because they still came from Tarlac. He was quoted saying, “Nakitulog lang po kami sa terminal ng bus. Hindi kami makaalis dahil ni pamasahe wala kami. Wala nang umasikaso sa amin pagkatapos ng rally. Sana man lang bigyan nila kami kahit pamasahe at pambili ng bigas.”

However, (The Philippine Pride) is the same fake news site that carried made-up stories about actor Mark Anthony Fernandez getting two lady cops pregnant while he was in prison, the late Playboy founder donating $5 million to Duterte’s war on drugs, bishops telling President Duterte to leave the New People’s Army alone, the CHR calling the military’s surprise attack against the NPA a human rights violation, Robredo’s P6 million vacation house in Albay getting destroyed during Mayon Volcano’s eruption, and more.


In fact, is included in MemeBuster’s list of fake news sites to avoid this 2018.

A crowd of 400 people would have surely gotten other people’s attention, including that of cop Caguitla in the story. However, we could not find the cop’s quoted statement in other sources aside from that found on

Even the photo used was one taken from the NBC News article, ‘Obama Not Welcome’: Filipinos Protest Presidential Visit,” that was published on April 23, 2014.

There were also other fake stories before on how the LP paid protesters from Visayas and Mindanao for the September 21 rally, with one even claiming that the opposition rented Superferry ships to bring the protesters to Manila.

Despite the dubious nature of the story and its source, some Facebook pages and individual users still shared, further causing the misinformation to spread.

The Duterte-supportive page “Showbiz Government” shared it and its post got over 5,000 shares.

A Facebook user’s post also got almost 1,500 shares.

The misinformation worked, based on these comments.

But you can do something to stop spreading misinformation. If you see another story from the, you might want to think twice before taking it seriously and sharing it online. It would also help if you arm yourself with the easy tips on how to spot fake news.


Continue Reading


Busted: Agot Isidro did not say ‘habang tumatagal sa pwesto si Duterte, pabulok nang pabulok ang MRT’



Actress Agot Isidro found herself yet again as the subject of a fake story claiming that she slammed the MRT woes for getting worse and worse as President Rodrigo Duterte’s presidency moves forward.

But the vocal Duterte critic told the fake news makers to “stop putting words in my mouth.”

The article bearing the title “Habang Tumatagal sa Pwesto si Duterte, Pabulok Nang Pabulok Ang MRT – Agot Isidro” was posted by the website on February 26, 2018.


Isidro was said to have blasted Duterte for failing to solve the MRT problem within the promised six-month deadline, according to the article. She was quoted saying: “Yong six monthns nga na pangako niya sa drugs hindi nya nagawa e, eto pa kayang MRT na wala syang sinabi. Alam naman natin puro bunganga lang itong ating kasalukuyang gobyerno. Puro dada, puro kabastusan at insulto ang lumalabas sa mabahong bunganga pero wala namang nagawa (sic).”

She was also alleged to have joked, “habang tumatagal sa pwesto itong si Duterte, sa palala itong MRT. O di ba rhyme, parang childrens’ poen lang (sic).”

In her tweet on February 28, Isidro simply said, “I did not say this. #FakeNews.”

The fake post, though, has already been shared online, with it gaining 1,700 comments and 88 shares when shared to Facebook group “Marcos Loyalist and the page “Du30 Solid Supporters.”

This is not the first fake news about Isidro since she called Duterte a “psychopath.”

There were fake stories about her dating drug lords, the police finding P680 million in her house during a raid, and her being forced to check out of her Boracay hotel.


Continue Reading

What Others Read