Connect with us

Busted

Busted: SC said no 2022 presidential election unless VP election protest is resolved? Fake news alert!

Published

on

Once again, this fake news site struck again with a claim that the Supreme Court has postponed the 2022 presidential elections unless the election protest for the vice presidency gets resolved.

On June 7, Okd2.com published an article with this headline, “No Presidential Election on 2022 unless Marcos-Robredo case is resolved, SC says.” As of writing, the post has been shared over 1,300 times.

2022-presidential-election

It was also shared by some netizens on their Facebook pages and to support pages such as “(vf)DDS/Diehard Duterte Supporters,” “President Duterte V.P Marcos Worldwide Supporters,” “Rody Duterte for President Movement International,” “Pro Marcos-Duterte International (ProMDI),” “OFW Global Movement – Abudhabi UAE Chapter,” and “OFW4DU30 Global Movement Association and Cooperation International.”

You might have noticed how Facebook user Raden A. Payas was so persistent in sharing the Okd2 article to several Duterte support pages. This is not the first article from Okd2 that we’ve noticed him share to several support pages on Facebook.

advertisement

Payas even noted this in his caption, “Dalawa lang ang pwedeng mangyari. Either extend and term ni Duterte or maging bisi presidente si Bongbong…”

According to Okd2.com, Marcos has asked the Presidential Election Tribunal, being performed by the Supreme Court, to expedite his protest hearing against Robredo. However, SC’s decision reportedly stunned many when it released a single-page resolution on June 7, which said:

All pending cases must be resolved so the people can choose freely without any doubt.”

Robredo’s camp was understandably shocked by the SC’s ruling. Okd2.com once again mentioned Vice President’s alleged lawyer, Atty. Regina Fernandez, whose identity we could not verify. The article said that Fernandez said that they will use “all legal remedies” to make Robredo the next president in 2022.

Okd2 further wrote, “The decision issued by the Supreme Court is expected to get mixed response from both Duterte and Marcos critics, but the Congress has no plan to question the SC’s decision. The congress, though House Secretary Divina Gracia said the house is full with so many things and will not deal with the SC regarding election concerns.”

It added, “The SC also said that the cancellation of the 2022 general elections will give COMELEC enough time to find replacement for Smartmatic, which had been the subject of all cheating during the past and previous elections.”

However, there were no credible reports about the Supreme Court’s decision to “cancel” the 2022 elections. What we found, though, are reports about how the SC has reset the preliminary conference on the Marcos-Robredo electoral protest from June 21 to July 11. Marcos’ camp said they understood the urgency in scheduling the oral arguments on the declaration of martial law in Mindanao, set for June 13 to 15, but they do not see why it is necessary “to further delay an equally important case that likewise involves public interest.” Robredo, on the other hand, said that while she also wanted to have the case resolved sooner, she understood the urgency behind tackling the President’s martial law declaration.

The story was likely made up by Okd2.com just like what it did to the other fake stories before this one. Moreover, their claim about the SC making the decision to cancel the 2022 election does not add up.

The Omnibus Election Code of the Philippines showed that the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) may decide to postpone the election only with this condition.

Sec. 5. Postponement of election. – When for any serious cause such as violence, terrorism, loss or destruction of election paraphernalia or records, force majeure, and other analogous causes of such a nature that the holding of a free, orderly and honest election should become impossible in any political subdivision, the Commission, motu proprio or upon a verified petition by any interested party, and after due notice and hearing, whereby all interested parties are afforded equal opportunity to be heard, shall postpone the election therein to a date which should be reasonably close to the date of the election not held, suspended or which resulted in a failure to elect but not later than thirty days after the cessation of the cause for such postponement or suspension of the election or failure to elect.

The postponement can only be done in case of “violence, terrorism, loss or destruction of election paraphernalia or records, force majeure, and other analogous causes of such a nature” and only after a verified petition, notice and hearing were conducted. Moreover, the election has to be re-scheduled “not later than thirty days after the cessation of the cause for such postponement or suspension of the election or failure to elect.”

The next elections in 2022 is still five years away, so the circumstances cited above could not be applied to the upcoming presidential elections.

Even the move to postpone the barangay elections from October 31, 2016 required a law passed through Congress and signed by President Duterte for it to happen. Duterte himself wanted to stop the barangay elections to stop drug lord-backed candidates will not win. On October 18, Malacaang revealed that the President has signed the law postponing the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections to October 23, 2017.

We have not found any Regina Fernandez acting as Robredo’s lawyer and claiming that the Vice President’s camp are using all available legal measures to make Robredo the next president. We als could not find a certain Divina Gracia as the “House Secretary,” but lawyer Cesar Pareja was chosen as the new House Secretary General.

So, no, Okd2.com came up with another fake story when it claimed that the SC has decided to postpone the 2022 elections because nothing of the sort happened and a new law might be needed for it to happen. As per its disclaimer, the website “cannot guarantee the legitimacy of some of the information contributed” to them.

Sources: ( rappler.com , chanrobles.com , philstar.com , congress.gov.ph )

advertisement

Busted

Busted: Robredo wants to add years to the K-to-12 program? It’s fake news!

Published

on

Vice President Leni Robredo’s office released a statement debunking social media posts claiming that she wants to add a few more years to the K-to-12 program. This came after several posts started circulating about how Robredo allegedly said that she wanted to add a few more years to the K-to-12 program, angering netizens.

A certain tweet on March 1, 2020 showed the vice president’s photo along with these words: “Kulang ang K to 12 education system natin. Kelangan apat na taon sa Junior HS at apat na taon sa Senior HS.”

In January 17, the same image shared to the Facebook page “Raffy Tulfo In Action Supporters” also got shared over 6,000 times and triggered negative comments among the netizens.

Many social media users have lambasted Robredo over the said meme.

The unwarranted bashing and adverse reactions prompted her office to release an official statement debunking this false claim.

“Hindi totoong pinadadagdagan ni VP Leni Robredo ang mga taon sa K-to-12 program,” said the vice president’s office in a statement.

“Suportado ng Bise Presidente kung sakaling magkaroon ng review ng nasabing programa. Binibigyang-diin niya na kailangang siguraduhin na may tamang facilities at equipment ang mga specialized tracks, para mas maging madali ang pagtuturo nito at matiyak ang kahandaang makapagtrabaho ng mga mag-aaral sa kanilang pagtatapos,” it added.

In October 2019, Robredo did say that she was alright with reviewing how the K-to-12 program to determine how it could be further improved.

“Tumutugon rin ang kaniyang Tanggapan, kasama ang #AngatBuhay partners nito, sa pangangailangan ng tamang kagamitan. Nakapagbigay na ng kaukulang tools at equipment sa mga mahihirap na paaralan, gaya sa Mulanay sa Quezon, Panglao sa Bohol, at Sta. Maria sa Romblon,” the statement further said.

This is not the first time Robredo has been a victim of fake news. There were false claims, misleading headlines, and edited images or captions about how former Senator Bongbong Marcos has already won over Robredo, how she met former UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon to oust President Rodrigo Duterte, or how her portrait was sold on eBay, something that a popular blogger apologized for.

Sources: ( inquirer.net , news.mb.com.ph )

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: Walang kasalanan ang Tulfo brothers ayon sa imbestigasyon? It’s a misleading headline!

Published

on

An article has claimed that an investigation has found the Tulfo brothers to be not guilty. It says, “Lumabas Sa Imbestigasyon Na Walang Kasalanan Ang Tulfo Brothers,” as published by the website phworkit.top.

The story was even shared by Facebook pages “Ferdinand Emmanual Edralin Marcos” and “Rody Duterte MEDIA.”

However, the article merely contained a 10-minute YouTube video, which was a mix several video clips of different reports, some parts of which touched on the issues involving the P60 million tourism ads that aired on the PTV program of Teo’s brothers, the Tulfos.

One of the video clips showed that the CNN Philippines reported on why nepotism is considered corruption and abused of authority in the case of now-resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda and how her husband, Roberto Teo, served as the board member of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA). But Roberto was appointed by former President Benigno Aquino III and has tendered his resignation from TIEZA effective June 30, 2018.

advertisement

Another video clip showing a CNN Philippines report of a Malacañang press briefing, where a reporter asked Presidential Spokesperon Harry Roque if Communications Secretary Martin Andanar would be among those investigated in the controversial placement of P60 million worth of tourism ads on the program of the Tulfos, who are Teo’s brothers, leading people to raise the issue of conflict of interest. As the PCOO chief, he also supervises the state-run PTV-4, where the Tulfos’ programs are a blocktimer.

Asked by yet another reporter what President Rodrigo Duterte’s comment was on the issue with the DOT and the Tulfos, Roque said that he did not know then because he had not talked to the President for a while and the investigation conducted by the Office of the President was ongoing then.

The headline used in the video is misleading. It meant to make people think that the Tulfo brothers have been cleared from the issue involving them with the controversial P60-million tourism ad deal.

However, reports showed that even after Teo resigned from her post on May 7, the Ombudsman will still continue with the probe into the scandal. The body requested from the Commission on Audit (COA) a copy of its DOT report involving the controversial P60-million worth of payments for ads aired on PTV on May 8. The investigation is still ongoing, which meant that they it has not yet cleared the Tulfos.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea is also said to be investigating the scandal to determine the officials at fault at the DOT, People’s Television Network Inc. (PTNI), and the PCOO.

Ramon Tulfo, an Inquirer columnist, came out in the defense of his sister Teo and blamed  his younger brother Ben Tulfo for the controversy.

Party-list group Akbayan, however, said it was not enough for Teo to step down from her post. They wanted her to be prosecuted.

“The simple firing or resignation of corrupt officials will not put a stop to corruption in the government if this is not followed by swift prosecution and conviction,” the group said in a statement.

Akbayan also challenged President Duterte to file cases against Ben and Erwin Tulfo over the controversial ad transaction. Ben owns Bitag Media, which produced the PTV show “Kilos Pronto,” the program where the DOT ads were aired. His brother, Erwin, co-hosts the show with him.

Sources: ( newsinfo.inquirer.ne , thestandard.com.ph , cnnphilippines.com , rappler.com , news.abs-cbn.com , businessmirror.com.ph )

advertisement

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: Legarda sinumbatan si Robredo na mag-resign bago pa lumabas ang resulta na panalo si Marcos? Misleading headline!

Published

on

Senator Loren Legarda allegedly confronted Vice President Leni Robredo and asked her to resign before the results would show former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. as the winner.

The video was posted by blog dailydu30.info on May 15, 2018. The vice presidential vote recount is still ongoing, so the headline must have been referring to the result of the recount. It also made it seem as though Legarda is telling Robredo that she is certain that Marcos would emerge as the winner in the recount.

The YouTube video is 20-minute long and Legarda’s face was immediately shown at the beginning of the video. However, if you finish watching it, you’d know immediately that the video was not taken recently. In fact, it showed a portion of the budget hearing for 2017 for the Office of the Vice President. Further research showed that the hearing was conducted in front of the Senate panel on August 22, 2017 and it lasted less than an hour before it was approved. Robredo herself attended the budget hearing to present an overview of the OVP’s plans for 2018.

Legarda served as the Senate panel’s chair.

During the hearing, Robredo reported how the OVP spent its funds, mainly for poverty alleviation.

advertisement

The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that following the presentation on the fund allocation of the OVP, Legarda asked Robredo to send them a yearlong report on the needs of the sectors and areas that the OVP has reached while promising to help out on fulfilling those needs.

So unlike what the headline claimed, Legarda did not tell Robredo to resign from her VP post to make way for Marcos’ imminent victory. The headline is misleading and is merely playing with people’s emotions and gullibility.

However, Facebook page “Sara Duterte Worldwide Supporters” still shared it without verifying the headline’s claims.

There have been several fake stories involving Marcos and Robredo and the VP vote recount that we have busted. We debunked a misleading headline claiming that Marcos has already won, that Marcos won by 1,786 votes over Robredo, that Robredo would perform her tasks as VP until Marcos takes over, and that Marcos will replace Robredo.

Sources: ( philstar.comnewsinfo.inquirer.net )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read