Connect with us

Busted

Busted: Robredo wanted to have Duterte investigated for killing drug lords, criminals? It’s a misleading headline

Published

on

Vice President Leni Robredo has been condemning the killings in the country. However, recent articles surfaced about a CNN report on her support for the investigation of the cases of extrajudicial killings in the country that was branded with a totally different headline.

Facebook fan pages “Duterte News Global,” “Kilusang Bagong Lipunan,” and “Duterte Warriors” shared an article from dutertemedia.com with a title “Robredo Wants Investigate President Duterte on Killing Drug Lord and Criminals.”

[50_50_first]
Robredo Wanted Duterte Investigated Killing Drug Lords
[/50_50_first][50_50_second]
Robredo Wanted Duterte Investigated Killing Drug Lords
[/50_50_second]
Robredo Wanted Duterte Investigated Killing Drug Lords

But upon clicking on the article, we were taken to a page, where we found a screenshot of Robredo and a YouTube video of a CNN report, entitled “Robredo Supports Probe on Extrajudicial Killing,” about her encouraging an investigation into the ongoing extrajudicial killings in the Philippines and recalling how President Rodrigo Duterte himself said in his inauguration speech that the rule of law will still be observed. Robredo also said that she believed that Duterte does not condone all these cases of vigilante-style killings.

advertisement

The report also showed Robredo talking about the Congress’ interest then to conduct a probe on the killings, which she believed to be within their mandate, adding that it is also within the executive branch’s mandate to let the Department of Justice, Philippine National Police or the Department of Interior and Local Government to look into these cases.

“Kasi pag hinayaan natin yung mga tao na to take the law into their hands, baka maraming mga inosente na madamay,” Robredo said.

Anchor person Pia Hontiveros said that Robredo, then a Cabinet member, said that they were not able to discuss the extrajudicial killings during their Cabinet meetings because they were focused on the drug war, although she was planning on discussing the issue in the next meeting.

A quick search on when that particular CNN Philippines report was aired showed us that it was first reported on July 14, 2016, based on this relevant news article.

Further search on Facebook about relevant posts also showed us that the article with the misleading title was also shared last year. It was shared by “Showbiz Government” on September 28, 2016, by “Marcos Warriors” on August 21, 2016, and by “Duterte Saviours of Filipinos Today” on July 18, 2016.

[50_50_first]
Robredo Wanted Duterte Investigated Killing Drug Lords
[/50_50_first][50_50_second]
Robredo Wanted Duterte Investigated Killing Drug Lords
[/50_50_second]
Robredo Wanted Duterte Investigated Killing Drug Lords

Robredo did join the call to have the killings investigated to prevent the loss of innocent lives, but she did not say that she wanted President Duterte probed for the killings. In fact, as the video showed, she noted how Duterte said that the rule of law would be followed and how he would not condone the killings.

It was only in December last year that Robredo expressed her concern over Duterte’s admission that he killed criminals himself and he used to roam Davao City at night to look for criminals. She said that it might “send the wrong message, not only to law enforcers but civilians as well.”

“He should remember that he is the commander in chief of the Armed Forces and the big boss of the police. If our President tells stories that he went around and killed people, it’s fearsome. It’s as if we are encouraging the culture of impunity,” Robredo said.

She added that the message might seem like enforcers and ordinary citizens were given a “license to kill,” especially considering the rising death toll.

After this statement from Robredo, Duterte responded: “You can ask even one [of the government forces] if I ordered them to kill a person whose body was in a kneeling position and hands were tied at the back. Ask one of them. If someone says Duterte [ordered that], I will resign. I will resign tomorrow.”

Memebuster.net has busted several articles lately about blogs using misleading titles to attract readers, only for them to find out that the title is completely irrelevant to the actual content of the articles, which are often video clips. Only if you watch and understand the video clip will you then discover that you’ve been misled. So as a reader, it is your responsibility to read, listen or watch the content from start to finish to fully understand it and to find out if you have not been misinformed.

Sources: (cnnphilippines.com, sunstar.com)

Be Informed. Beat the Trolls, Share the Truth!

advertisement

Busted

Busted: Robredo wants to add years to the K-to-12 program? It’s fake news!

Published

on

Vice President Leni Robredo’s office released a statement debunking social media posts claiming that she wants to add a few more years to the K-to-12 program. This came after several posts started circulating about how Robredo allegedly said that she wanted to add a few more years to the K-to-12 program, angering netizens.

A certain tweet on March 1, 2020 showed the vice president’s photo along with these words: “Kulang ang K to 12 education system natin. Kelangan apat na taon sa Junior HS at apat na taon sa Senior HS.”

In January 17, the same image shared to the Facebook page “Raffy Tulfo In Action Supporters” also got shared over 6,000 times and triggered negative comments among the netizens.

Many social media users have lambasted Robredo over the said meme.

The unwarranted bashing and adverse reactions prompted her office to release an official statement debunking this false claim.

“Hindi totoong pinadadagdagan ni VP Leni Robredo ang mga taon sa K-to-12 program,” said the vice president’s office in a statement.

“Suportado ng Bise Presidente kung sakaling magkaroon ng review ng nasabing programa. Binibigyang-diin niya na kailangang siguraduhin na may tamang facilities at equipment ang mga specialized tracks, para mas maging madali ang pagtuturo nito at matiyak ang kahandaang makapagtrabaho ng mga mag-aaral sa kanilang pagtatapos,” it added.

In October 2019, Robredo did say that she was alright with reviewing how the K-to-12 program to determine how it could be further improved.

“Tumutugon rin ang kaniyang Tanggapan, kasama ang #AngatBuhay partners nito, sa pangangailangan ng tamang kagamitan. Nakapagbigay na ng kaukulang tools at equipment sa mga mahihirap na paaralan, gaya sa Mulanay sa Quezon, Panglao sa Bohol, at Sta. Maria sa Romblon,” the statement further said.

This is not the first time Robredo has been a victim of fake news. There were false claims, misleading headlines, and edited images or captions about how former Senator Bongbong Marcos has already won over Robredo, how she met former UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon to oust President Rodrigo Duterte, or how her portrait was sold on eBay, something that a popular blogger apologized for.

Sources: ( inquirer.net , news.mb.com.ph )

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: Walang kasalanan ang Tulfo brothers ayon sa imbestigasyon? It’s a misleading headline!

Published

on

An article has claimed that an investigation has found the Tulfo brothers to be not guilty. It says, “Lumabas Sa Imbestigasyon Na Walang Kasalanan Ang Tulfo Brothers,” as published by the website phworkit.top.

The story was even shared by Facebook pages “Ferdinand Emmanual Edralin Marcos” and “Rody Duterte MEDIA.”

However, the article merely contained a 10-minute YouTube video, which was a mix several video clips of different reports, some parts of which touched on the issues involving the P60 million tourism ads that aired on the PTV program of Teo’s brothers, the Tulfos.

One of the video clips showed that the CNN Philippines reported on why nepotism is considered corruption and abused of authority in the case of now-resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda and how her husband, Roberto Teo, served as the board member of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA). But Roberto was appointed by former President Benigno Aquino III and has tendered his resignation from TIEZA effective June 30, 2018.

advertisement

Another video clip showing a CNN Philippines report of a Malacañang press briefing, where a reporter asked Presidential Spokesperon Harry Roque if Communications Secretary Martin Andanar would be among those investigated in the controversial placement of P60 million worth of tourism ads on the program of the Tulfos, who are Teo’s brothers, leading people to raise the issue of conflict of interest. As the PCOO chief, he also supervises the state-run PTV-4, where the Tulfos’ programs are a blocktimer.

Asked by yet another reporter what President Rodrigo Duterte’s comment was on the issue with the DOT and the Tulfos, Roque said that he did not know then because he had not talked to the President for a while and the investigation conducted by the Office of the President was ongoing then.

The headline used in the video is misleading. It meant to make people think that the Tulfo brothers have been cleared from the issue involving them with the controversial P60-million tourism ad deal.

However, reports showed that even after Teo resigned from her post on May 7, the Ombudsman will still continue with the probe into the scandal. The body requested from the Commission on Audit (COA) a copy of its DOT report involving the controversial P60-million worth of payments for ads aired on PTV on May 8. The investigation is still ongoing, which meant that they it has not yet cleared the Tulfos.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea is also said to be investigating the scandal to determine the officials at fault at the DOT, People’s Television Network Inc. (PTNI), and the PCOO.

Ramon Tulfo, an Inquirer columnist, came out in the defense of his sister Teo and blamed  his younger brother Ben Tulfo for the controversy.

Party-list group Akbayan, however, said it was not enough for Teo to step down from her post. They wanted her to be prosecuted.

“The simple firing or resignation of corrupt officials will not put a stop to corruption in the government if this is not followed by swift prosecution and conviction,” the group said in a statement.

Akbayan also challenged President Duterte to file cases against Ben and Erwin Tulfo over the controversial ad transaction. Ben owns Bitag Media, which produced the PTV show “Kilos Pronto,” the program where the DOT ads were aired. His brother, Erwin, co-hosts the show with him.

Sources: ( newsinfo.inquirer.ne , thestandard.com.ph , cnnphilippines.com , rappler.com , news.abs-cbn.com , businessmirror.com.ph )

advertisement

Continue Reading

Busted

Busted: Legarda sinumbatan si Robredo na mag-resign bago pa lumabas ang resulta na panalo si Marcos? Misleading headline!

Published

on

Senator Loren Legarda allegedly confronted Vice President Leni Robredo and asked her to resign before the results would show former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. as the winner.

The video was posted by blog dailydu30.info on May 15, 2018. The vice presidential vote recount is still ongoing, so the headline must have been referring to the result of the recount. It also made it seem as though Legarda is telling Robredo that she is certain that Marcos would emerge as the winner in the recount.

The YouTube video is 20-minute long and Legarda’s face was immediately shown at the beginning of the video. However, if you finish watching it, you’d know immediately that the video was not taken recently. In fact, it showed a portion of the budget hearing for 2017 for the Office of the Vice President. Further research showed that the hearing was conducted in front of the Senate panel on August 22, 2017 and it lasted less than an hour before it was approved. Robredo herself attended the budget hearing to present an overview of the OVP’s plans for 2018.

Legarda served as the Senate panel’s chair.

During the hearing, Robredo reported how the OVP spent its funds, mainly for poverty alleviation.

advertisement

The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that following the presentation on the fund allocation of the OVP, Legarda asked Robredo to send them a yearlong report on the needs of the sectors and areas that the OVP has reached while promising to help out on fulfilling those needs.

So unlike what the headline claimed, Legarda did not tell Robredo to resign from her VP post to make way for Marcos’ imminent victory. The headline is misleading and is merely playing with people’s emotions and gullibility.

However, Facebook page “Sara Duterte Worldwide Supporters” still shared it without verifying the headline’s claims.

There have been several fake stories involving Marcos and Robredo and the VP vote recount that we have busted. We debunked a misleading headline claiming that Marcos has already won, that Marcos won by 1,786 votes over Robredo, that Robredo would perform her tasks as VP until Marcos takes over, and that Marcos will replace Robredo.

Sources: ( philstar.comnewsinfo.inquirer.net )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read