Connect with us

News

Duterte supporters score Robredo over meme saying she’s ready to replace Duterte when needed, but that’s her mandate

Published

on

Some supporters of President Rodrigo Duterte slammed Vice President Leni Robredo over a meme showing her saying that she is ready to replace the Philippine leader when needed.

The meme in question bore the words, “Handa akong palitan si Pangulong Duterte kung kinakailangan – VP Leni Robredo,” with a photo of her doing a salute that was taken during the 2017 celebration of the Philippine Independence Day.

It was shared on February 28 by the Facebook page “Duterte Solid Supporters” and has since been shared over a 100 times, as of writing.

Most of the over 200 comments on the post showed the President’s supporters hitting Robredo for saying what she allegedly said in the meme.

But we also found the meme being shared by other Facebook pages in July, September and November of last year.

This July 2017 post by the page “Resign Leni Robredo Resign” even got over a thousand shares.

It was then shared by Facebook pages “Solid Duterte OFW Supporters,” “Duterte Anti-Biased Media,” “Pres. Rody Duterte ‘Partner for Change,’” “Duterte-Marcos Tandem,” “Team Rody Duterte,” and “Duterte Solid Supporters.”

To get to the bottom of whether Robredo said what she allegedly said in the meme, MemeBuster found an article on Journal.com.ph published on May 9, 2017 that said, “’Am ready to replace DU30.”

advertisement

The article quoted what Robredo said during an event called TERETalks in St. Theresa’s College on May 6, 2017. She was reported to have said: “Pero sa akin naman it’s part of the mandate. When I ran, nandoon na po iyong obligation ko, na if anything happens, I should be prepared to lead. Hindi ko nakakalimutan iyong mandato ko. Iyong mandato ko is that I should always be prepared.”

We found a transcript of the open forum during TERETalks and confirmed that Robredo did make that response.

Here’s a longer part of the transcript related to the one quoted above by Journal:

Q: Good afternoon, Madame VP. I represent part of your social media support team. We are the ones making bakbak there in social media. But my question is, we wanted to ask you, we all know that the old man in Malacanang is not very well and in case something happens to him, are you ready to ready to take over?

VP LENI: Ako naman po, I do not want to wish anything ill sa ating pangulo.

Q: We don’t wish that but it can happen, so actually I wish it.

VP LENI: Well I think I will get into trouble after this afternoon. Pero sa akin naman it’s part of the mandate. When I ran, nandoon na po iyong obligation ko, na if anything happens, I should be prepared to lead. Pero sa akin kasi, mas mabuti sana na nothing happens. Iyon na iyong ideal world. Nothing happens to the President, the President and the Vice president work well together. For the benefit of the nation.

Pero sa akin nama hindi ko nakakalimutan iyong mandato ko. Iyong mandato ko is that I should always be prepared.

What Robredo was trying to say that as vice president, it is in her mandate to be prepared in case something happens to the president. It comes as part of her duties as the “spare tire.”

Since the Duterte supporters scored her for saying that she is prepared to replace President Duterte when needed, are they saying Robredo should not do what she was mandated to do?

Months before this TERETalks response that Robredo made, her spokesperson Georgina Hernandez clarified that Robredo was not “in a hurry” to become President, as per President Duterte’s claims then.

“Alam naman po nating lahat na hindi ‘yan totoo dahil si VP Leni mismo ang nagsasabi na wala ‘yan sa kanyang mga plano at hindi po niya ‘yan kailanman gagawin,” Hernandez told GMA’s Unang Balita on March 20, 2017.

“Sana tingnan rin kung saan nanggagaling, wala naman po talagang ganu’ng plano at hindi nag-aapura si VP Leni sa kung anuman, kundi apurahin lang ‘yung mga sinimulan namin na programa para sa anti-poverty,” Hernandez clarified with the media at the sidelines of the Quezon City’s celebration of women’s month that was attended by Robredo.

“Wala sa kaniyang plano na magmadali o maging Pangulo,” she added.

In August 2016, a malicious spin was also given to Robredo’s response when she said that the Philippine Constitution does not give the VP real powers, “except to wait for something to happen to the President.”

This was spun by her detractors into how Robredo was practically saying that she was “waiting for Duterte to die.

Even Communications Asec. Mocha Uson, before she got the PCOO position, shared that spliced video of Robredo summarizing what the Constitution basically said about her mandate as VP.

One of Duterte’s supporters and Uson’s followers called her out for sharing the spliced video that was taken out of context and urged her to be a responsible Duterte supporter. She also agreed with Robredo’s rephrased version of a VP’s duty.

Sources: ( lenirobredo.comgmanetwork.com , journal.com.ph )

advertisement

News

Netizens slam Duterte for saying women ‘could not stand threats and intimidation’

Published

on

President Rodrigo Duterte drew flak for another controversial comment involving women after he remarked on May 24 that women “could not stand threats and intimidation.”

Duterte said that while he believed in women’s competence, it does not necessarily ring true in all aspects of life.

“I believe in the woman, the competence and capability, pero hindi lahat sa buhay dapat.Hindi ka, hindi, hindi. Dapat lang. It’s not appropriate when you cannot stand threats and intimidation,” he said in his May 24 speech.

He also said that women should be “prim and proper” and talked about his reservation in sending women police and soldiers to the field because unlike men, they did not grow up with a mindset that involves violence.

“Ang mga babae, sundalo pati pulis, ayaw ko ‘yan sa bukid. Unlike men kami, maliit pa lang, suntukan, bakbakan, barilan. And we grew up with a sort of a mindset na sometimes prone to violence. Itong mga babae, prim and proper man ‘yan, isang tingin lang sa nanay niyan, wala na tunaw na ‘yan. Tapos gawin mong pulis, ipaaway mo doon. Naku,” Duterte remarked.

Netizens then took to social media to react to Duterte’s most recent statements, making #BabaeAko trend again on Twitter.

“Mr. President, you just horrifyingly disrespected your own mother who bravely fought against the Marcos dictatorship. She withstood threats and intimidation. Siya ay babae! #BabaeAko,” a Twitter user remarked.

Forensic expert Dr. Raquel Fortun spoke out, too, saying “I am threatened and intimidated a lot. All my life. Don’t me. #BabaeAko.”

So did film and theater actress Chai Fonacier, who said, “Encouraging women — and I mean including those who identify as women — and our friends from the entire spectrum to share your #BabaeAko statements to fight the misogyny that the President and his ilk normalize through their behavior. Make them remember the feminine strength.”

KABATAAN Partylist Rep. Sarah Elago also reacted, saying she refused to be stereotyped.

Former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay urged other Filipinos to protest against Duterte’s misogynistic statements.

Other Twitter users weighed in on the issue.

Duterte’s previous misogynistic remarks

advertisement

His remarks in his speech on May 24 seemed to have sought to explain another controversial remark he made on May 16 when he said that he did not want a politician, especially a woman, to become the next Ombudsman.

“Mag-nominate sila, pero I choose, but gusto ko ‘yung bilib ang tao sa integrity niya. Of course it could not be a politician, lalo na hindi babae,” he said during a chance interview.

This gave birth to the launching of the #BabaeAko movement on social media on May 21 by women activists and other people who also want to protest Duterte’s misogynistic and sexist statements.

One of  the women who joined the #BabaeAko campaign was former Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo who said, “Akala ko taumbayan ang boss ni Duterte. Yun pala sina Marcos, Gloria, Trump at China. Para sa bayang makatarungan at malaya, lalaban ako.”

In February, he was also slammed for telling his audience of former NPA rebels that he told his soldiers to shoot female rebels in the vagina.

Sources: ( rappler.comphilstar.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

New DOT chief to ask Montano why he rushed official New York engagement to watch Broadway show

Published

on

Newly installed Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said she plans on talking with Tourism Promotions Board (TPB) COO Cesar Montano to ask for his side on certain accusations that were hurled against him.

Among these accusations came from an Abante report where Montano was said to have rushed a speaking engagement staged by the DOT in New York to watch the Broadway musical show “Hamilton.”

DOT reportedly launched the Philippine Tourism Presentation and Dinner Reception on May 9 to showcase Philippine tourism and fashion at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York. Montano was introduced as the event’s keynote speaker, but he was said to have only spoken for a bit before hurriedly leaving the venue, disappointing the guests, which also included US officials.

Montano was said to have been invited to the event in behalf of the now-resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo. He was also named as one of the two hosts, the other being Teo, of the said event.

In reaction to this report about Montano, Puyat said she would talk to Montano as well as the Tourism attache and other DOT officials who attended the event to verify the accusation in the report mentioned above.

advertisement

Puyat said that she would investigate into the “Buhay Carinderia” program that the TPB is set to implement. This was after Philippine Star Boo Chanco accused Montano of issuing P80-million worth of three checks to the event proponent and organizer.

“I still don’t have the papers. I will be asking [and] will be arranging a meeting with Mr. Cesar Montano to ask about ‘yung mga nabasa ko sa ‘Buhay Carinderia’ – kung totoo ba na walang bidding ‘yung P80 million na advance,” Puyat said on May 15.

“I’m planning to talk to him and ask his side. I want to ask all those who were there if it actually happened,” Puyat added.

In March 2017, TPB employees filed a complaint against Montano for his alleged corruption and mismanagement of the agency. These include hiring friends and relatives, using TPB’s funds for personal trips, and showing incompetence in fulfilling his obligations as the agency’s COO.

Sources: ( tnt.abante.com.phphilstar.comrappler.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Eldest Tulfo vows to help Wanda clear her name, berates ‘black sheep’ Ben over controversial P60-M DOT ad deal

Published

on

Inquirer columnist Ramon Tulfo spoke up about the controversy involving his siblings, now resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Tulfo-Teo and hosts Ben and Erwin Tulfo, over the P60 million tourism ad deal.

The eldest Tulfo wrote in his Inquirer column on May 10 that while President Rodrigo Duterte himself advised the Tulfo family to avoid talking to the media, he took it upon himself as the family’s acting patriarch to tell the story behind the controversy.

First up, Ramon blamed Teo for not hiring smart staff members who could have advised her against inking a deal with PTV 4, where one of the Tulfo brothers, Ben, was a blocktimer.

As a blocktimer, Ben pays for his TV show’s airtime on the state-run channel.

According to Ramon, Wanda was only complying with President Duterte’s injunction for his Cabinet secretaries to support PTV 4, adding that she did not know Ben’s company would get most of the multimillion advertising contract with DOT.

He also hit Ben, whom he called a “black sheep” with a “middle child” syndrome as the fifth child out of 10 siblings, for signing the P60-million advertising contract with PTV 4 despite knowing that there would be a conflict of interest on Wanda’s part.

Ramon also said that Wanda still tried to save Ben, who insisted on his innocence amid the controversy, leading her to resign from her post. He also explained that Wanda seemed to have forgotten the fact that her husband was on the board of director of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (Tieza), a part of DOT, when Duterte appointed her as tourism chief. He added that it should have been up to her husband to step down from his post upon his wife’s appointment.

advertisement

In the same column, he also slammed Wanda’s lawyer, Ferdinand Topacio, whom he said did not even consult the Tulfo brothers on returning the P60-million funds from the ad deal. He also described the lawyer as “all talk,” a counsel who’s only focused on gaining publicity for himself.

Unlike what has been previously reported about Wanda resigning out of delicadeza amid the controversy, Ramon let it slip that he commended President Duterte for “sacking Wanda,” prompting some people to ask whether Wanda was fired instead of resigned.

Before he ended his column, he vowed to support “Wanda’s fight to clear her name, but not Ben’s.”
Wanda resigned on May 8 to show delicadeza and to spare everyone, especially Duterte, from the pain caused by the controversy, according to her lawyer.

The issue started with the Commission on Audit’s report showing the DOT paying P60 million worth of commercials to PTV 4, which in turn, tapped Ben’s Bitag Media Unlimited Inc. to air the tourism ads during Ben and Erwin’s show “Kilos Pronto.”

Malacañang said that Teo’s resignation does not mean that she is off the hook since the Ombudsman is still looking into her and other government officials involved in the controversial ad deal.

Sources: ( inquirer.netnews.abs-cbn.com , nnphilippines.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read