Connect with us

News

Duterte calls de Lima ‘immoral;’ De Lima says it’s ‘foul’ ‘character assassination’

Published

on

After merely hinting about a senator who had been implicating him to the alleged summary executions of suspected drug dealers, President Rodrigo Duterte finally revealed who the mystery senator was.

“You want to know the name? De Lima,” the president said, referring to Senator Leila De Lima as the mystery senator. He divulged this information during a press conference at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 on Wednesday.

In naming who his senator-detractor was, he also shed light about the senator he had accused of immorality. Specifically, the senator was alleged to be having an affair with her driver.

Duterte had said then: “And here is a senator complaining. When one day I will tell you that her driver, who was also her lover, was the one also collecting money for her during the campaign.” Duterte had divulged this in his speech during the 115th PNP’s anniversary at the PNP Headquarters in Camp Crame.

“Here is an immoral woman… insofar as the wife of the driver is concerned, it’s adultery. Here is a woman who funded the house of her lover, and yet we do not say any complaint about it,” Duterte had added.

Moreover, Duterte had said, “(The) money came readily from drugs. The intercept between Muntinlupa (Bilibid Prison) and the driver were far beyond, making sure that somebody was involved.” In saying this, Duterte hinted about the lady-senator’s indirect involvement in the illegal drug trade in the country, probably as some kind of a beneficiary.

But Duterte later on softened his stance. “In fairness, I will never say here that the driver gave the money to her but from the looks of it, she has it.”

Duterte had said it was his duty as president of the republic to name names of even high officials involved in drug trafficking either directly or as protectors so the public would know. And even in the case of exposing De Lima as a beneficiary of drug lord payola (bribe money), Duterte likewise invoked his presidential duties in doing so.

advertisement

“I can. Because it’s part of my duty. Okay naman ako (It’s okay with me). You want to know the name? De Lima.”

In the same speech during the police anniversary, Duterte said that investigations on the alleged summary executions were actually a welcome development. But he warned against how some people seemed to be blaming the syndicated killings on him and the PNP. Some reports had it that organized drug syndicates are out liquidating their own assets.

“But do not attribute the acts of… criminals upon my government,” Duterte lambasted his detractors.

The story would have ended there and then, with de Lima accusing Duterte of allegedly masterminding the summary killings and President Duterte accusing her of allegedly receiving payola.

But Duterte went further. In de Lima’s words, what Duterte did was “very foul.” The president accused De Lima on national TV of having an illicit relationship with her driver.

“Pareho po naman kaming propesyonal ng pangulo. Pareho kaming public servants so sana hindi na ho siya nagre-resort sa ganyan na foul means. To me that’s very foul (The president and I are both professionals, both public servants. So he shouldn’t have resorted to using such foul means),” she said in a controlled voice, obviously holding back tears in her eyes.

Asked what she felt the moment she heard about Duterte’s immorality issue against her, de Lima said: “It’s very surprising. Alam mo first reaction ko ngayon, ayoko na patulan ‘yan (You know what my first reaction is now? I won’t stoop to that level). It’s so foul. It’s character assassination,” said De Lima, but neither answered nor denied the allegation. “Ayaw ko talaga i-dignify ‘yan, (I don’t want to dignify that),” she stressed.

De Lima remarked that the president should “double check” information he used before making accusations. And this particular accusation, de Lima said, came at a very bad timing and smelled of an equally bad agenda. “I don’t know kung ano po agenda nila (what their agenda is) that they are resorting to character assassination. That is a very clear case of character assassination,” the senator said.

But De Lima vowed to continue the fight. “Hindi po (ako) matitinag (I won’t budge in),” she said, referring to the investigations she has started doing on the drug-related killings said to be secretly spearheaded by the Duterte administration.

“I did not expect the President to do that. Sa totoo lang (actually),” the senator added, referring to Duterte’s personal attacks against her, before refusing to answer any more queries from the media during a short interview.

Duterte, on the other hand, claimed De Lima started all this when, “she first investigated me in Davao for human rights violation. Before the press, entering the hotel lobby, she said: ‘I will prove that Duterte is connected with the DDS, Davao Death Squad.’”

“Akala niya siya ang conscience of the country… hanggang ngayon naghihintay ako niyan (She thinks she’s the conscience of the country… up to now I’m waiting for her to prove my guilt)… I kept quiet because you are a lady,” Duterte said.

Sources: (rappler.com, youtube.com, gmanetwork.com)

advertisement

News

Netizens slam Duterte for saying women ‘could not stand threats and intimidation’

Published

on

President Rodrigo Duterte drew flak for another controversial comment involving women after he remarked on May 24 that women “could not stand threats and intimidation.”

Duterte said that while he believed in women’s competence, it does not necessarily ring true in all aspects of life.

“I believe in the woman, the competence and capability, pero hindi lahat sa buhay dapat.Hindi ka, hindi, hindi. Dapat lang. It’s not appropriate when you cannot stand threats and intimidation,” he said in his May 24 speech.

He also said that women should be “prim and proper” and talked about his reservation in sending women police and soldiers to the field because unlike men, they did not grow up with a mindset that involves violence.

“Ang mga babae, sundalo pati pulis, ayaw ko ‘yan sa bukid. Unlike men kami, maliit pa lang, suntukan, bakbakan, barilan. And we grew up with a sort of a mindset na sometimes prone to violence. Itong mga babae, prim and proper man ‘yan, isang tingin lang sa nanay niyan, wala na tunaw na ‘yan. Tapos gawin mong pulis, ipaaway mo doon. Naku,” Duterte remarked.

Netizens then took to social media to react to Duterte’s most recent statements, making #BabaeAko trend again on Twitter.

“Mr. President, you just horrifyingly disrespected your own mother who bravely fought against the Marcos dictatorship. She withstood threats and intimidation. Siya ay babae! #BabaeAko,” a Twitter user remarked.

Forensic expert Dr. Raquel Fortun spoke out, too, saying “I am threatened and intimidated a lot. All my life. Don’t me. #BabaeAko.”

So did film and theater actress Chai Fonacier, who said, “Encouraging women — and I mean including those who identify as women — and our friends from the entire spectrum to share your #BabaeAko statements to fight the misogyny that the President and his ilk normalize through their behavior. Make them remember the feminine strength.”

KABATAAN Partylist Rep. Sarah Elago also reacted, saying she refused to be stereotyped.

Former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay urged other Filipinos to protest against Duterte’s misogynistic statements.

Other Twitter users weighed in on the issue.

Duterte’s previous misogynistic remarks

advertisement

His remarks in his speech on May 24 seemed to have sought to explain another controversial remark he made on May 16 when he said that he did not want a politician, especially a woman, to become the next Ombudsman.

“Mag-nominate sila, pero I choose, but gusto ko ‘yung bilib ang tao sa integrity niya. Of course it could not be a politician, lalo na hindi babae,” he said during a chance interview.

This gave birth to the launching of the #BabaeAko movement on social media on May 21 by women activists and other people who also want to protest Duterte’s misogynistic and sexist statements.

One of  the women who joined the #BabaeAko campaign was former Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo who said, “Akala ko taumbayan ang boss ni Duterte. Yun pala sina Marcos, Gloria, Trump at China. Para sa bayang makatarungan at malaya, lalaban ako.”

In February, he was also slammed for telling his audience of former NPA rebels that he told his soldiers to shoot female rebels in the vagina.

Sources: ( rappler.comphilstar.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

New DOT chief to ask Montano why he rushed official New York engagement to watch Broadway show

Published

on

Newly installed Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said she plans on talking with Tourism Promotions Board (TPB) COO Cesar Montano to ask for his side on certain accusations that were hurled against him.

Among these accusations came from an Abante report where Montano was said to have rushed a speaking engagement staged by the DOT in New York to watch the Broadway musical show “Hamilton.”

DOT reportedly launched the Philippine Tourism Presentation and Dinner Reception on May 9 to showcase Philippine tourism and fashion at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York. Montano was introduced as the event’s keynote speaker, but he was said to have only spoken for a bit before hurriedly leaving the venue, disappointing the guests, which also included US officials.

Montano was said to have been invited to the event in behalf of the now-resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo. He was also named as one of the two hosts, the other being Teo, of the said event.

In reaction to this report about Montano, Puyat said she would talk to Montano as well as the Tourism attache and other DOT officials who attended the event to verify the accusation in the report mentioned above.

advertisement

Puyat said that she would investigate into the “Buhay Carinderia” program that the TPB is set to implement. This was after Philippine Star Boo Chanco accused Montano of issuing P80-million worth of three checks to the event proponent and organizer.

“I still don’t have the papers. I will be asking [and] will be arranging a meeting with Mr. Cesar Montano to ask about ‘yung mga nabasa ko sa ‘Buhay Carinderia’ – kung totoo ba na walang bidding ‘yung P80 million na advance,” Puyat said on May 15.

“I’m planning to talk to him and ask his side. I want to ask all those who were there if it actually happened,” Puyat added.

In March 2017, TPB employees filed a complaint against Montano for his alleged corruption and mismanagement of the agency. These include hiring friends and relatives, using TPB’s funds for personal trips, and showing incompetence in fulfilling his obligations as the agency’s COO.

Sources: ( tnt.abante.com.phphilstar.comrappler.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Eldest Tulfo vows to help Wanda clear her name, berates ‘black sheep’ Ben over controversial P60-M DOT ad deal

Published

on

Inquirer columnist Ramon Tulfo spoke up about the controversy involving his siblings, now resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Tulfo-Teo and hosts Ben and Erwin Tulfo, over the P60 million tourism ad deal.

The eldest Tulfo wrote in his Inquirer column on May 10 that while President Rodrigo Duterte himself advised the Tulfo family to avoid talking to the media, he took it upon himself as the family’s acting patriarch to tell the story behind the controversy.

First up, Ramon blamed Teo for not hiring smart staff members who could have advised her against inking a deal with PTV 4, where one of the Tulfo brothers, Ben, was a blocktimer.

As a blocktimer, Ben pays for his TV show’s airtime on the state-run channel.

According to Ramon, Wanda was only complying with President Duterte’s injunction for his Cabinet secretaries to support PTV 4, adding that she did not know Ben’s company would get most of the multimillion advertising contract with DOT.

He also hit Ben, whom he called a “black sheep” with a “middle child” syndrome as the fifth child out of 10 siblings, for signing the P60-million advertising contract with PTV 4 despite knowing that there would be a conflict of interest on Wanda’s part.

Ramon also said that Wanda still tried to save Ben, who insisted on his innocence amid the controversy, leading her to resign from her post. He also explained that Wanda seemed to have forgotten the fact that her husband was on the board of director of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (Tieza), a part of DOT, when Duterte appointed her as tourism chief. He added that it should have been up to her husband to step down from his post upon his wife’s appointment.

advertisement

In the same column, he also slammed Wanda’s lawyer, Ferdinand Topacio, whom he said did not even consult the Tulfo brothers on returning the P60-million funds from the ad deal. He also described the lawyer as “all talk,” a counsel who’s only focused on gaining publicity for himself.

Unlike what has been previously reported about Wanda resigning out of delicadeza amid the controversy, Ramon let it slip that he commended President Duterte for “sacking Wanda,” prompting some people to ask whether Wanda was fired instead of resigned.

Before he ended his column, he vowed to support “Wanda’s fight to clear her name, but not Ben’s.”
Wanda resigned on May 8 to show delicadeza and to spare everyone, especially Duterte, from the pain caused by the controversy, according to her lawyer.

The issue started with the Commission on Audit’s report showing the DOT paying P60 million worth of commercials to PTV 4, which in turn, tapped Ben’s Bitag Media Unlimited Inc. to air the tourism ads during Ben and Erwin’s show “Kilos Pronto.”

Malacañang said that Teo’s resignation does not mean that she is off the hook since the Ombudsman is still looking into her and other government officials involved in the controversial ad deal.

Sources: ( inquirer.netnews.abs-cbn.com , nnphilippines.com )

advertisement

Continue Reading

What Others Read