Amid calls from United Nations experts human rights experts to stop extrajudicial killings in the Philippines’ war against drugs, President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to leave the UN and even asked what good deed the intergovernmental organization did for the country.
“Maybe we’ll just have to decide to separate from the United Nations. Eh kung ganiyan kayo kabastos eh p—ina, umalis na kami diyan sa inyo,” GMA News Online quoted Duterte during his early Sunday morning press conference.
His outburst came after UN special rapporteur on summary executions Agnes Callamard and UN special rapporteur on the right to health Dainius Puras called on the Philippine government to stop the extrajudicial killings of drug suspects.
“When were you here the last time? Never. Except to criticize… When have you done a good deed to my country? We are contributing money,” he added.
Duterte even brought up the possibility of creating a new organization with China, African and Middle Eastern countries.
Asked about the seriousness of his threat to take the Philippines out of the UN, he said he would leave once the UN returned the money contributed by the country to the organization.
“The joke is on you. You have to refund me with so many contributions we have made all these years,” he said.
“Isauli ninyo yung mga contributions, we would go out. We contribute a certain amount for the maintenance of UN, right? You return the money to us and we will go out. With that amount I can build so many rehab centers,” Duterte added.
Asked about what he thought might be the repercussions of his recent statements, he said: “I don’t give a shit to them, they are the one interfering.”
He added that it was the UN and its experts who violated protocol first for slamming his administration.
“Ang bastos hindi ako. They should suffer the repercussions,” Duterte said.
UN did help PH during Yolanda, among others
After Duterte raised the question on when the UN has done a “good deed” for the Philippines, a netizen pointed out the fact that the organization collected $193M to help the Yolanda victims in 2013.
A certain Jade Tamboon said in his post, “In case you missed the early morning meltdown of our President (and I can’t blame you; he enjoys giving bombshell presscons at dawn), here’s one of the choice quotes (and there were so many).
He also said he can’t wait for June 2022, alluding to the time when Duterte’s presidency would end six years from now.
Tamboon posted this photo, as if answering Duterte’s question on how the UN helped the country.
As of this writing, Tamboon’s post has reached 5,700 reactions, 1,437 shares, and 602 comments.
GMA News Online’s tweet about UN’s aid to the Yolanda victims actually has an accompanying article.
According to GMA News’ report, the UN has raised $193 million for the victims of Typhoon Yolanda (with an international name Haiyan) that hit the Philippines on November 8, 2013.
The report also quoted UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Valerie Amos: “I would like to thank member states, the private sector and the public around the world for their immense generosity and support for the Filipino people so far. It is clear that their plight has touched everyone.”
Amos also commended the Filipino resilience, saying, “Everywhere I have visited, I saw families determined to rebuild their lives under the most difficult conditions.”
Amos led the relief efforts in Tacloban after Yolanda. She also defended Aquino’s administration, saying that the country was prepared for storms after handling an average of 20 storms per year. However, the scale and severity of the damage left by Yolanda “was something which none of us could have anticipated.”
Even UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon visited Tacloban on December 21, 2013, pledging to rally global support for the Yolanda victims. He said, “Never despair. The UN is behind you. The world is behind you.” To the kids who sang him Christmas jingles, Ban said, “Please hold on. We have come to help you.”
These visits from UN officials prove that Duterte’s tirade against the UN about how they “never” visited the Philippines, except to criticize the country, is not true. More importantly, UN’s support in collecting both in cash and in-kind donations showed that the organization did help the Philippines in a big way at a time when the country was hit by one of the strongest typhoons ever recorded in the world.
Pimentel sees dismissal of ICC complaint versus Duterte
Senate President Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III said on Friday that the charges against President Rodrigo Duterte before the International Criminal Court (ICC) will likely be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction.
“I believe that simply is the procedure in the ICC – they give every complainant an initial chance to survive (sic),” Pimentel said in a message sent to reporters last Friday.
He added that he believes that after the initial interview, the complaint will be dismissed in just a matter of time. He says that it will be dismissed because of lack of jurisdiction.
The ICC has informed the Philippine government that it will be conducting a preliminary examination on the anti-illegal drugs campaign of the Duterte administration to see if there is a basis to conduct a formal investigation into alleged crimes against humanity that the president allegedly committed.
ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said that the preliminary examination that will be conducted will analyze the crimes allegedly committed in the Philippines in the context of the anti-drug campaign of the government from July 1, 2016.
She also clarified that a preliminary examination is not an investigation but a process to examine the information available and determine if there is reasonable basis to proceed with an investigation in accordance to the criteria established by the Rome Statute.
The Rome Statute is the treaty that established the ICC. It was signed by 123 states, including the Philippines.
The ICC has jurisdiction over genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes.
Pimentel, a Duterte ally, doubted that what happened in the Philippines under the president’s war on drugs falls under serious and grave crimes.
“Look at the crimes under the ICC’s jurisdiction. Do you honestly believe what has happened here in the Philippines falls under any of those very serious and grave crimes? Honestly?” he asked.
Watch how artists’ group teaches Filipinos about their rights during TokHang
Resbak, an alliance of artists, posted an almost six-minute video on their Facebook page about what you should do when you are dealing with the police during Operation TokHang. With over 7,000 deaths, the group wanted to educate the Filipinos about what to do when they suddenly find themselves the subject of TokHang. They easily abbreviates these eight fundamental rights into M.A.T.A.P.A.N.G.
- M for Manahimik. You can choose to keep quiet and not answer the cops’ questions during interrogations.
- A for Ayoko. You don’t really need to grant the cops entry into your home if they say they want to search your home for illegal drugs.
- T for Tumawag. You can call your lawyer and avail of his services even if you don’t have money to pay for it.
- A for Alis. You can leave if the cops cannot provide enough basis to keep you in the police station.
- P for Pribado. You should only be frisked for illegal items in a private place and only cops of the same sex should do it.
- A for Alamin. You have the right to know the name and rank of the cop in charge of the operation.
- N for Numero. You can call Resbak at 0956 874 2385 if you or someone’s rights got violated under TokHang.
- G for Go. You go and follow the rules indicated above.
You can watch the video below, which was done as a spoof of the recently concluded Miss Universe 2017.
Are you in DCW’s list? Here are tips on how to remove your name from that list and more
If you find your name in Duterte Cyber Warrior’s “Wall of Shame,” which may make you a target of cyber threats, such as identity theft and other kinds of attacks, you can do something about it.
Facebook user Khary Woulfe posted some tips on how you can hit back at the group’s threats.
He also referred netizens to a safer version of the list, similar to the one posted by the Superficial Gazette. You can access it here.
As for taking your name, Woulfe suggested these tips:
- Verify your Facebook with your phone number. This is required to change your FB username.
- Change your username everyday (or more frequent than that.) The Messenger change username option is the fastest way to do so. (Otherwise, go to https://facebook.com/username if you’re on computer or on web version of Facebook.)
This way, your old Facebook address included on their lists will point instead to a 404 (Page Not Found) page.
“However, if you haven’t provided your username beforehand and your link has been listed as https://facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000xxxx, the link would still point to your profile right after changing your username. If this is your case, it is better to deactivate your account for the mean time,” he added.
Woulfe also gave tips on how to take down the website hosting DCW’s list.
Here are the steps:
- Go to https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/form and select Violent Threats.
- Fill in Full name with any name that isn’t your true name.
- Fill in your email address.
- Fill in Evidence URL with https://profile.du30cw.org/wos.
- Fill in Logs with:
The link provided points to a website hosted on CloudFlare. The “Wall of Shame” is actually a list of Facebook profiles with links pointing to profiles that they are going to steal infos and photos. They also send death threats and other forms of black mails. I believe such kind of activity is illegal. My family and friends are included in the list. Please don’t allow your services to be instrumental to such kind of illegal activites. Thank you.
- Click Submit.
Be Informed. Beat the Trolls, Share the Truth!
Busted: Robredo wants to add years to the K-to-12 program? It’s fake news!
Netizens slam Duterte for saying women ‘could not stand threats and intimidation’
Busted: Walang kasalanan ang Tulfo brothers ayon sa imbestigasyon? It’s a misleading headline!
Busted: Legarda sinumbatan si Robredo na mag-resign bago pa lumabas ang resulta na panalo si Marcos? Misleading headline!
New DOT chief to ask Montano why he rushed official New York engagement to watch Broadway show
What Others Read
- Busted4 years ago
Busted: Marcos’ highest bar exam scorer? Not true, his score was recalibrated due to cheating allegations
- News3 years ago
Fake news sites to be aware of this 2018
- Busted4 years ago
Busted: Photos of alleged de Lima scandal fake!
- Busted4 years ago
Busted: Duterte signed ‘no homework policy’ after cursing assignments? It’s SATIRE!