Connect with us


Busted: CHR slammed surprise military attack on NPA as blatant human rights violation? It’s fake news!



The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) allegedly condemned the surprise attack by government forces on New People’s Army terrorists, according to a post by The Philippine Pride.

According to the post, the attack resulted to the death of 21 bandits and is considered by the Philippine government as the most successful military operation against the NPA under the Duterte administration. It also said that a certain Roberto Dulango, an alleged NPA member, was killed last May 4 while in police custody in Bohol, another incident that the CHR criticized.

The post further says that the CHR official, who refused to reveal his identity, wanted the military to have at least allowed the rebels finish their meals before the airstrike was conducted. The surprised bandits, allegedly left the camp hurriedly leaving their meals and other belongings while the military took over their camp.

But the source of all these claims is dubious, it being the It has been featured here in MemeBuster for publishing fake stories like Mark Anthony Fernandez impregnating two lady cops while he was detained and Rep. Baguilat cancelling his Hong Kong trip after his aide was caught with ecstasy at NAIA.

Checking, it describes itself as a blog that is dedicated to Pinoys here and abroad. It can be noticed, however, that it started only in November last year.

An exact copy of the’s article was also posted in the but still it does not attribute or coincide with a reliable news source.

The post was shared by the “Duterte News Everywhere” Facebook page.

Other blogs, such as,,,,, also carried the story. These blogs’ version of the story were further shared by individual Facebook users to groups such as “President Rody Duterte Facebook Army” and “Federalism Under Duterte Administration” and by Facebook pages “Duterte Supporters Worldwide,” “Filipinas Trending,” and “Budoy News.”

Page followers were quick to comment negatively against CHR headed by Commissioner Chito Gascon (not Chino as posted on the page).

Basing on the timeline that was given in the post, it could be deduced that it is fictional. Legitimate news sources have not reported any recent encounter of government forces and the NPA.


The alleged NPA member Roberto Dulango that the post claims died in police custody last May 4 may also be fictional. There are no news stories from legitimate news sources in the Visayas or nationwide that discussed Dulango’s alleged death.

Franco Mabanta, who fell for another post by the in the past, has said that it is a satirical site. A satire is a literary work that uses irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, and the like.

The quote used in the post clearly demonstrates a ridiculous situation where warring parties have to warn each other of their attacks.

If you Google that quote in the article, you’d only find it published in blogs but not in more established sources.

The CHR has been a subject of attacks by Duterte supporters for allegedly siding with criminals instead of the victims. It could be remembered that CHR was given a P1,000 budget by the House of Representatives during the deliberations for the 2018 budget last year.

However, Duterte supporters need to be reminded that the CHR is a commission mandated to “protect the rights of the people from abuse by state agents such as the government, police and the military. The CHR is mandated to ensure that the government will not abuse and violate its duty to protect the primary rights of the people”. You can check out this infographic that distinguishes the duties of the CHR and the Philippine National Police here.

Gascon himself has been the subject of several fake stories, some of which MemeBuster has debunked. There were made-up stories about him wanting to protect Maute Group’s human rights, a story that came from a satirical site and him saying President Duterte can be charged with genocide for killing Maute terrorists. President Duterte himself made a false statement when he remarked that Gascon is not a lawyer, when the CHR chairman even got a master’s degree in law abroad.


Sources: PhilStar


If you’re with us in our advocacy in fighting online lies, we’d appreciate any donation to help keep us moving.


Busted: Aquino nagalit dahil papalitan ang NAIA ng ‘Manila International Airport’? Misleading headline alert!



A headline claimed that former President Benigno Aquino III got angry over the move to rename the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) into Manila International Airport.

The story bearing such headline was carried by and was shared by the Facebook page “Duterte Worldwide Supporters.” As of writing, the post has gotten over 1,000 shares.

Some netizens who commented on the post slammed Aquino over his alleged angry reaction to replacing the airport’s name.

However, the headline is misleading. If you click on the link, you will find a 3-minute YouTube video about a PTV News report on how lawyer Larry Gadon filed a petition before Congress to have NAIA’s name replaced.

This report was also picked up by GMA News, which tweeted about it in January 18, 2017.

It was also reported by the Philippine News Agency and published by the Philippine Canadian Inquirer on January 18, 2017.


“May petisyon kami na ginagawa, marami nang nakapirma. May mga nakausap na rin kaming congressmen na tutulong to change the name of NAIA back to MIA,” Gadon said of the petition.

He added that renaming NAIA back to its original name would help “shake off the jinx” that now comes with its reputation for being named the worst airport in the world and for being home to laglag-bala schemes.

The airport was renamed as NAIA in 1987 during the administration of the late President Corazon Aquino, whose husband, Ninoy, was shot to death at the tarmac when he descended from his plane upon arrival from the US.

Unlike what the headline claimed, no video, audio or article showed that the other Aquino president and Ninoy’s son reacted angrily to having his dad’s name stripped off the airport’s name. The headline is completely irrelevant to the article’s content, which meant that it was made just to get a rise out of the misled netizens.

Source: ( )


Continue Reading


Busted: Unpaid EDSA protesters mobbed LP headquarters in QC? Fake news alert!



After the opposition staged a rally on February 25 for the celebration of the EDSA People Power Revolution, over 400 unpaid protesters allegedly mobbed the headquarters of the Liberal Party to demand payment for their participation in the protest, according to a certain blogspot.

This was how framed the story and even cited a certain Police Senior Inspector Napoleon Caguitla who noticed the crowd in front of the LP office at the Balay Expo Centro Building, EDSA corner McArthur Avenue, Araneta Center.

Caguitla was quoted saying, “Pinuntahan natin kung tungkol saan ang komusyon dahil wala namang naireport sa atin na may gagawing rally rito, at yun nga, napag-alaman natin na ang iilan pala sa mga kababayan natin dito ay nagtitipon para hingin diumano ang bayad sa kanilang pagrally noong sabado.”

A rally organizer allegedly said that a high-ranking LP member promised to pay them P1,000 but instead, paid only P150 and a burger.

Another protester said he and his family members are entitled to receiving P5,000 because they still came from Tarlac. He was quoted saying, “Nakitulog lang po kami sa terminal ng bus. Hindi kami makaalis dahil ni pamasahe wala kami. Wala nang umasikaso sa amin pagkatapos ng rally. Sana man lang bigyan nila kami kahit pamasahe at pambili ng bigas.”

However, (The Philippine Pride) is the same fake news site that carried made-up stories about actor Mark Anthony Fernandez getting two lady cops pregnant while he was in prison, the late Playboy founder donating $5 million to Duterte’s war on drugs, bishops telling President Duterte to leave the New People’s Army alone, the CHR calling the military’s surprise attack against the NPA a human rights violation, Robredo’s P6 million vacation house in Albay getting destroyed during Mayon Volcano’s eruption, and more.


In fact, is included in MemeBuster’s list of fake news sites to avoid this 2018.

A crowd of 400 people would have surely gotten other people’s attention, including that of cop Caguitla in the story. However, we could not find the cop’s quoted statement in other sources aside from that found on

Even the photo used was one taken from the NBC News article, ‘Obama Not Welcome’: Filipinos Protest Presidential Visit,” that was published on April 23, 2014.

There were also other fake stories before on how the LP paid protesters from Visayas and Mindanao for the September 21 rally, with one even claiming that the opposition rented Superferry ships to bring the protesters to Manila.

Despite the dubious nature of the story and its source, some Facebook pages and individual users still shared, further causing the misinformation to spread.

The Duterte-supportive page “Showbiz Government” shared it and its post got over 5,000 shares.

A Facebook user’s post also got almost 1,500 shares.

The misinformation worked, based on these comments.

But you can do something to stop spreading misinformation. If you see another story from the, you might want to think twice before taking it seriously and sharing it online. It would also help if you arm yourself with the easy tips on how to spot fake news.


Continue Reading


Busted: Agot Isidro did not say ‘habang tumatagal sa pwesto si Duterte, pabulok nang pabulok ang MRT’



Actress Agot Isidro found herself yet again as the subject of a fake story claiming that she slammed the MRT woes for getting worse and worse as President Rodrigo Duterte’s presidency moves forward.

But the vocal Duterte critic told the fake news makers to “stop putting words in my mouth.”

The article bearing the title “Habang Tumatagal sa Pwesto si Duterte, Pabulok Nang Pabulok Ang MRT – Agot Isidro” was posted by the website on February 26, 2018.


Isidro was said to have blasted Duterte for failing to solve the MRT problem within the promised six-month deadline, according to the article. She was quoted saying: “Yong six monthns nga na pangako niya sa drugs hindi nya nagawa e, eto pa kayang MRT na wala syang sinabi. Alam naman natin puro bunganga lang itong ating kasalukuyang gobyerno. Puro dada, puro kabastusan at insulto ang lumalabas sa mabahong bunganga pero wala namang nagawa (sic).”

She was also alleged to have joked, “habang tumatagal sa pwesto itong si Duterte, sa palala itong MRT. O di ba rhyme, parang childrens’ poen lang (sic).”

In her tweet on February 28, Isidro simply said, “I did not say this. #FakeNews.”

The fake post, though, has already been shared online, with it gaining 1,700 comments and 88 shares when shared to Facebook group “Marcos Loyalist and the page “Du30 Solid Supporters.”

This is not the first fake news about Isidro since she called Duterte a “psychopath.”

There were fake stories about her dating drug lords, the police finding P680 million in her house during a raid, and her being forced to check out of her Boracay hotel.


Continue Reading

What Others Read