Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez called out barangay and SK election candidates who edit their faces onto the images of the Avengers.
Jimenez addressed the candidates through his Twitter account, where he said the candidates who use such tactic during the campaign period are “dumbing down the elections.”
He tweeted, “#BSKE2018 candidates who use campaign posters with their faces superimposed on the bodies of Avengers are dumbing down the elections. Paano yan? Kung sino na lang ang may pinaka-“cool” na poster, ganun?”
He even mentioned the risk that these candidates may be sued for copyright infringement.
“Ginagawa nyong bobo ang mga botante. Ma-copyright infringement sana kayo,” he continued.
In a separate tweet, Jimenez said that putting their faces on the bodies of the Avengers is definitely not a cool move but a “baduy” one.
“Oh, and btw, actually hindi cool yun ipapalit nyo yung mukha nyo sa mukha ng isang Avenger. Baduy yun,” he tweeted.
However, Jimenez said that the Comelec does not have the authority to ban the use of such campaign posters because it can already be considered as “content-based prior restraint.” He added that the poll body only has control over the size of the posters used and where they are displayed, which should be in the “common poster areas” previously determined by Comelec election officers.
The posters will only be deemed illegal “if it is posted outside of the common poster area,” Jimenez said.
But even then, there is an exception to the rule – “to display the materials on private property with the permission of the owner,” he added.
On April 11, Comelec released a resolution prohibiting campaign materials to be posted on trees, electrical wires, light posts, waiting sheds, schools, bridges, traffic signs, sidewalks, public shrines, barangay halls, airports, health centers, seaports, public transport terminals, trains and train stations, ambulances, government patrol cars, underpasses and overpasses, public announcement boards, and center islands.
According to Comelec Resolution No. 10294, candidates can only use posters that are up to 2 feet by 3 feet in dimension. Rally streamers should not be bigger than 3 feet by 8 feet and should be taken down right after the event.
The same resolution cited that “any and all election propaganda should bear and be identified by the reasonably legible or audible words ‘political advertisement paid for’ followed by true and correct name of the candidate, as well as the words ‘printed free of charge’ or ‘airtime for this broadcast was provided free of charge.”
The nine-day campaign period for the barangay and SK elections started at 12 a.m. on May 4 and will continue until May 12, two days before the election on May 14.
Busted: Meme about Hontiveros boasting about her accomplishments as senator is FAKE!
Paula Defensor Knack, the younger sister of the late Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, appeared to chastise Senator Risa Hontiveros, asking the latter what “accomplishment” she was talking about.
In a Facebook post on April 30, Knack said, “Ano raw? Ano accomplishment nya? Ayon sa CHR representative sa Netherlands, sinabi nya …….Rissa Hontiveros is helping REMOVE POPULAR APPROVAL FROM PRES. DUTERTE AS PART OF A MASS MOVEMENT & HE ALSO NAMED OTHERS. Anong goal nyan kung hindi oust the head of state?”
This was her reaction to a meme posted by the Facebook page “Favradio,” showing a photo of Hontiveros and these words in yellow font: “Sa maikling panahon bilang senadora.. marami na akong nagawa na ikauunlad ng Pilipinas at nang sambayanang Pilipino.”
Naturally, Hontiveros earned the ire of the netizens who slammed her for what she allegedly said, boasting about her accomplishments as a senator.
Name calling and curses were in abundance, of course.
Someone even brought up the fake news about how Hontiveros allegedly passed a bill wanting to color code MRT passengers and seemed to believe it.
Favradio’s meme post on April 29 even gained over 1,000 shares.
But Facebook page “Marcos Loyalist” shared the meme earlier on April 16.
However, the statement quoted in the meme that allegedly came from Hontiveros is fake. We could not find any other article carrying that statement from the lady senator.
It is even an erroneous meme that used “nang” before “sambayanang Pilipino” instead of “ng.”
It should also be noted that Favradio is quite fond of sharing fake news, such as these stories:
- Hontiveros wanting to raise the senior citizen age qualification to 65 years old
- De Lima saying she’s ready to die as a martyr
- Duterte rejecting SM’s Henry Sy private jet gift
- De Lima threatening Duterte if she becomes the next president
- Hontiveros filing a bill prohibiting tattoo exposure
- Bishop Soc Villegas telling Duterte to resign
The meme about Senator Hontiveros is one more fake news added to Favradio’s list of fake stories that we busted.
Busted: Meme about Vic Sotto defending Duterte supporters is FAKE
Eat Bulaga host and comedian Vic Sotto allegedly came to the defense of President Rodrigo Duterte’s supporters, based on a meme that was shared by a Duterte Facebook fan page. What’s worse is that it has received hundreds of shares and comments from netizens commending Sotto for what he allegedly said about the president’s supporters.
The meme said:
“Ano nga ika nyo? Ang mga supporters ni PDU30 ay mga walang isip at walang utak? Wowwww men.. Ikatalino mo na ang iyong pagputak ng pagputak? Puro ka reklamo sa gobyerno.. sa tingin mo sa katatalak mo makakmit natin ang pag-asenso? Bago mo husgahan ang ating Pangulo, ano nga ba ang nagawa mo? Dungis mo muna bro ang pahirin mo bago ang dungis ng ibang tao.”
It also bore Sotto’s photo.
The Duterte fan page “President Duterte Worldwide Supporters” even captioned it “Yesssssss!tama k Vic saludo ako sau kc imbes na tumulong para umunlad ang bansa natin namimintas pa ang anong klaseng pgiisip nmn yan mennnnmmmm!!!!”
And here are the comments that showed how netizens readily bought the statement in the meme as something that Sotto actually said.
However, one netizen was right to ask for a video of Sotto actually uttering the statement in the meme.
It’s just right to doubt the meme’s claim because it is totally untrue! Sotto never said those words.
If we were to look into the political endorsement Sotto made during the campaign for the May 2016 elections, he and his wife, Pauleen, endorsed the candidacies of Senator Grace Poe for President and Senator Francis Escudero for Vice President.
False memes were used during the campaign to fake endorsements for the different political candidates. It appeared that some people are still using the trick even after the election was over. In fact, this was way Meme Buster came to life – to bust memes and fake news and find the truth.
Source: ( politics.com.ph )
Be Informed. Beat the Trolls, Share the Truth!
Watch out for these fake and satire sites, think before you click, and read before you react
How sure are you that the article you’re seeing on your Facebook News feed now is genuine or not? You can always use Google or any other search engines to verify the articles, but many people often neglect this step, making them vulnerable to websites deliberately sharing fake articles or sites that meant to create fun by making satire articles out of trending topics.
Meme Buster was, in fact, created to counter the lies online. After busting hundreds of memes and lies, we’ve come up with a list of websites that are fond of posting fake articles and websites with disclaimers that they are sharing satirical articles. We’ll keep updating this list as we encounter more sites with made-up stories.
Sites with Fake articles
- Pinoy Speak (Duterte News)
Pinoy Speak (Duterte News) posts satirical articles and passes them off as real news, such as Senator Manny Pacquiao giving $5 million for Duterte’s drug war and the showing of Agot Isidro and alleged drug lord lover’s video in the Senate.
It also shares fake articles, such as Jackie Chan begging to make a movie out of Duterte’s first 100 days; Jaybee Sebastian linking PNoy to drugs; Sebastian engaging in an affair with Senator Leila de Lima in exchange for drug protection; Senator Antonio Trillanes IV receiving a P500-M check to destroy Duterte, among others. This meant it does not bother checking its sources.
Some of DW-TV3’s articles may look like satire articles, but the site’s “About Us” page did not say anything about it being a satire site.
Meme Buster has busted several articles posted by this site, including the Canadian PM Justin Trudeau praising Duterte’s drug war, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon calling Duterte “brave”, Hillary Clinton showing Duterte some love or calling him “the world’s man”, and Agot Isidro dating drug lords.
Click on the button for more FAKE and SATIRE sites.
Busted: Robredo wants to add years to the K-to-12 program? It’s fake news!
Netizens slam Duterte for saying women ‘could not stand threats and intimidation’
Busted: Walang kasalanan ang Tulfo brothers ayon sa imbestigasyon? It’s a misleading headline!
Busted: Legarda sinumbatan si Robredo na mag-resign bago pa lumabas ang resulta na panalo si Marcos? Misleading headline!
New DOT chief to ask Montano why he rushed official New York engagement to watch Broadway show
What Others Read
- Busted4 years ago
Busted: Marcos’ highest bar exam scorer? Not true, his score was recalibrated due to cheating allegations
- News2 years ago
Fake news sites to be aware of this 2018
- Busted4 years ago
Busted: Photos of alleged de Lima scandal fake!
- Busted4 years ago
Busted: Duterte signed ‘no homework policy’ after cursing assignments? It’s SATIRE!